Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > White wine - am I supposed to shake the carboy during fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 06:33 AM   #1
brewew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default White wine - am I supposed to shake the carboy during fermentation?

Hi !

I've been making white wine from a concentrate, and it is currently fermenting (2-3 weeks left).

This concentrate came with a pretty akward user guide, and my question is this:

Am I supposed to give the carboy a good shake several times a day during the fermentation? Or do I let it sit still?

This may be a stupid question, and if so, pardon my ignorance..

Thanks!

BR. Jon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
raspberries
Recipes 

yeast dont like vibrations, dont shake.

im new to this as well, so maybe there is some shaking method I am not aware of?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4273 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Sometimes the instructions ask you to stir during the first couple of days, but not usually. In primary, it's fine to have it exposed to air as long as it's covered so that fruitflies and the like can't get to it. After the first few days, it's important to keep it airlocked and not splash/shake/stir so that you don't aerate it. Oxygen will ruin wine after fermentation slows.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
CampFireWine
Recipes 

The idea behind stirring is to break up the larger yeast colonies and even them out some during active fermentation. It will also help to remove gas and other byproducts as well. You may have to stir just the top every 20 minutes after adding the yeast as is floats on the surface foaming up to be followed with a good bottom stir. If it takes a week for active fermentation, you have to stir 2x a day but if it takes a month, then 2x a week should be fine. There is an art to stirring depending on what needs done. Some live yeast will float to the bottom and it helps to kick them up a bit.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:06 AM   #5
brewew
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies !

I can see that I may have been a little to hard on this first batch with all the rattling and violent shaking, but now, 3 days into the secound stage of fermentation, the airlock is still quite active and everything looks to be normal.

The manual however states that "you should give the carboy a good stir..4-5 times a day during first stage of fermentation in order to achieve the ultimate result"... sure hope I didn't ruin what's supposed to be me and my misses xmas greeting gifts.. :/

Anyways - I'll make sure to update this thread on the final results as it should be ready close to christmas. =)

Thanks again! BR. Jon

Old 11-18-2010, 05:08 AM   #6
brewew
Recipes 

BTW, the airlock has been on from day 1, so it was never exposed to oxygen - at least not on purpose.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
brewew
Recipes 

Oh, and another question:

Is there anything I can do to enchance the flavour of the wine at or after the 2nd stage of fermentation?

I'm thinking in the lines of "customizing" it in some degree.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
brazedowl
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewew View Post
Oh, and another question:

Is there anything I can do to enchance the flavour of the wine at or after the 2nd stage of fermentation?

I'm thinking in the lines of "customizing" it in some degree.
Well you said you were using concentrate? Is it a concentrate kit?

I use just regular old frozen concentrates from walmart to make cheap and dirty batches for large gatherings. I'd highly recomend cran-grape. If you have a 5 gallon batch going get some 2-3 containers of frozen concentrate, open and let them come to room temperature, and add to your batch. I say open them first because if you let them thaw first they will squish and explode everywhere when you try to open them. Concentrate (maybe cut with water to 50% strength) is good for topping and keeping your head space to a minimum.
In Progress: Ginger Spiced Cider
Bottled: oodles and oodles

"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?"

Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I would emphasize that the wine must be stabilized before adding more sugars. Otherwise the yeast still in solution will just eat all the sugars and kick up the ABV% further.

Cuinrearview's Gumballhead-Inspired WPA
Pelikan's John's Red English Barleywine

Old 11-18-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
brewew
Recipes 

brazedowl,

It might be a slightly different concentrate. As I'm fairly new to the brewing bussiness, I'll try and explain it as good as I can.

It's a 5 litre dunk of liquid grape concentrate, including sugar in the mix.
Instruction/guidelines says to add 17 l. water, 2 l. concentrate and then yeast and let it sit for 3-4 days - then adding the remaining 3 l. of concentrate.

I'm at the stage of 2nd fermentation right now.. 4 days after adding the rest of the concentrate, to be exact.

I'm doing the brewing in Norway, so I'm not familiar with the Walmart product range - but I'm sure there's something similar to "cran-grape" available here.
Might be a ignorant q, but with cran-grape, do you mean some form of pastiturized cranberry juice concentrate...?

Justibone,

I suppose that would be after another 2-3 weeks, right before or when, fermentation is at the very end (before adding stopper)?

Thanks again for your replies !

Quick Reply