Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > White Spots During Primary Fermentation

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
JeanRalphio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3
Default White Spots During Primary Fermentation

So this is my first ever homebrew. I'm making a small test growler of wine and it's been fermenting nicely for about 4 days now. However, today I have noticed that the neck of the growler seems to have these white spots developing. I'm hoping their just yeast clumps or some non-serious deposits. I'd really hate to waste my first ever batch! Here are some pictures. What do you guys think?

img_20140203_122606614.jpg   img_20140203_122629722.jpg   img_20140203_124455295_hdr.jpg  
__________________
JeanRalphio is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
Arpolis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,944
Liked 175 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

Ohhhh no!!!! Those look like the cultures of the dreaded Saccharomyces cerevisiae. I say the wine is toast. Just mail it to me and I will dispose of it.

Lol but seriously it does look like yeast is all. As long as it is not hairy you are fine. I would however say to go ahead and top off with some more juice. There is a lot of headspace there. After about 4-7 days you can usually top those off well without much threat of it erupting on you. Just shake it around a bit to degas it a little before topping off.

__________________

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Arpolis is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
JeanRalphio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis View Post
Ohhhh no!!!! Those look like the cultures of the dreaded Saccharomyces cerevisiae. I say the wine is toast. Just mail it to me and I will dispose of it.

Lol but seriously it does look like yeast is all. As long as it is not hairy you are fine. I would however say to go ahead and top off with some more juice. There is a lot of headspace there. After about 4-7 days you can usually top those off well without much threat of it erupting on you. Just shake it around a bit to degas it a little before topping off.
Oh that's a relief. I sure hope it's yeast (doesn't look fuzzy to me at least). Would there be any harm in me taking the airlock off and scraping it out? Will the oxygen damage the fermentation? Thanks again!
__________________
JeanRalphio is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
stonecutter2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stonecutter2's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 216
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanRalphio View Post
Oh that's a relief. I sure hope it's yeast (doesn't look fuzzy to me at least). Would there be any harm in me taking the airlock off and scraping it out? Will the oxygen damage the fermentation? Thanks again!
I wouldn't worry about it. It's not hurting anything. Opening and scraping just introduces the possiblity of some contaminant.

When you poured in the dry yeast, a few particles must've stuck to the glass. Since it's a warmish damp environment in there, they absorb some water and voila, weird spots on the glass.
__________________

Primary: JAOM, GW Small Beer v3
Secondary:
Bottled: 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale, Cream of 3 Crops, George Washington's Small Beer, Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
TO DO/BREW: Spruce Beer

stonecutter2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
JeanRalphio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter2 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. It's not hurting anything. Opening and scraping just introduces the possiblity of some contaminant.

When you poured in the dry yeast, a few particles must've stuck to the glass. Since it's a warmish damp environment in there, they absorb some water and voila, weird spots on the glass.
That's what happened to! When I first put in the yeast, some of it got stuck on the side. I guess the residual yeast just multiply on the glass and form glob colonies. Ahhh, well thank you guys for the relief. Being the first time I've ever made any alcohol at home, I get nervous from every little thing. Can't wait to enjoy my brew!!

Off topic: how long do you think it'll take for the fermentation to complete (ready to drink)? Thanks!
__________________
JeanRalphio is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
Arpolis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,944
Liked 175 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

What is the recipe? What kind of yeast used? That affects a lot. In general a wine can be done fermenting if the yeast is feed properly in about two weeks. Place a growler like that in the fridge after that and you will see a lot of tan sediment forming at the bottom after several days. "Lees" then after a couple of weeks of that use a racking cane and siphon off the clear liquid off the lees. You can bottle then or place in another growler and check it in 30 days. There is usually a little more sediment you can rack off of. But if you do not want it perfectly clear you can bottle strait off of the first set of lees as long as you are careful and it just needs a couple weeks to get out of bottle shock and it is fine to drink then.

Time means everything to wine and the longer you wait, generally the happier you are. But good recipes can be good in 6 weeks easy but amazing after a good 12 months.

This all assums you like a dry wine. A sweet wine is another matter. Just more steps to follow possibly. So post your recipe and process so far and how you want this to end. Dry, off dry, semi sweet or sweet.

__________________

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Arpolis is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White spots bel Extract Brewing 7 04-04-2013 02:22 AM
suspicious white spots on top of beer in primary logic1 Fermentation & Yeast 5 09-16-2012 05:41 PM
help white spots on top justin88 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 02-28-2012 01:50 AM
White spots Chia Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 08-28-2011 08:31 PM
White spots and cob web D*Bo Hops Growing 9 05-18-2008 11:42 PM