The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > White Merlot wine kit leaked badly

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
crobhoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default White Merlot wine kit leaked badly

Well, I bought a kit from my local store and BEGAN MY VIRGIN VOYAGE... much to my dismay, after the 4th day I get a call from my wife that the floor is full of wine.

Im like holly batman.... wtf is going on? who touched what etc. Well, the gasket around the spigot in the primary fermenter developed a leak on the 4th day of fermenting. It is my 1st go at this and I must say I am a little frustrated. I had a major leak at the spigot around the gasket and somehow the gasket/nut was backing off during fermentation.

So, my question is.... I lost 3 gallons nearly on the floor with 3 now in the carboy. I only have a 6 gallon carboy and im in crisis mode as to what I can do to top this carboy up with?? Keep in mind I just had $50 worth leak onto the floor. Is a white merlot wine the only answer to feel a measure of success with this situation? Can I use a concoction of concentrates or sugar water? PLEASE HELP ASAP IM HEADING TO WALMART ASAP

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Dump it.

You have no idea what ingrediants are left in the 3 gallons.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post
Dump it.

You have no idea what ingrediants are left in the 3 gallons.
I wouldn't dump it! But I'd definitely try to get a 3 gallon carboy.

I'm not sure how it leaked- does it have a spigot on it? My fermenters don't have spigots. Most primary fermenters don't, although I know Williams Brewing sells primaries with spigots. Most people use a regular bucket for primary for wine, and then a carboy for secondary. The bucket with a spigot is used for a bottling bucket.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Turnerdude1
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Go buy two 3 gal carboy..I use mine all the time for 6 gal batches...plus they are not as heavy to lift as the 6 gal carboys...

Old 03-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I've never had a bucket with a spigot that didn't drip. Hence I've always warned people not to use it for primary, no matter how sexy it sounds to just open the spigot to rack vs. siphoning.

Save the 3 gallons! there's nothing wrong with it! but you only need half as much potassium sorbate and sulfite to stabilize it. and half the clarifier.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply