Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > White Grape Juice/Yeast ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
jakdaou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default White Grape Juice/Yeast ?

Just started a batch of white grape juice cider/wine today. One gallon tester bottle, the sg was 1.130 and i used yeast nutrient and about 1.5-2 lbs sugar. Everything room temp and the yeast was red star champagne pasteur. My question is the yeast seems to be suspended in the liquid and no action after half a day... Is the batch ruined? I wanted a table like wine... Anybody done anything like this before...? Just a cheap one to see if it would turn out so no big deal, any input appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2010, 01:00 AM   #2
tunoffun
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

food-variety grapes & grape juice won't make a high quality wine. It will likely turn out thin & watery.

Also, did you check to see if the grape juice you purchased contained preservatives such as pottasium sorbate? If so, that will put the kibosh on your fermentation.

regardless, 1/2 a day isn't very long.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:01 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

I have a recipe for Welch's grape juice wine in my recipe pull-down- take a look and see if it's similar to what you made. I have instructions in there, too, that might help.

If you used a juice with sorbate or benzoate, it won't ferment. But otherwise, the yeast will get started sooner or later.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:09 AM   #4
jakdaou
Recipes 

I did everything by the books, no preservative, super sterile with c-brite... just wondering why all my yeast still looks like it does in the package except its in the juice...? Is this normal will they start to work in a few days? If i want it to stay sweet with a high abv should i pull at a week/week and a half when its down to...(what?) 1.010???(starting was 1.130) Or just by taste with turkey baster/wine theif. Been long time creep here so i kinda got a handle on everything but only been practicing it like a dozen times.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

High ABV and sweet are direct opposites in yeast terms. The yeast eats the sugar and makes alcohol. Can't have both unless you back sweeten after fermentation is complete.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post
High ABV and sweet are direct opposites in yeast terms. The yeast eats the sugar and makes alcohol. Can't have both unless you back sweeten after fermentation is complete.
That's not really the case- you can allow the wine to ferment out, and incrementally add more sugar. It will overwhelm the yeast strain's alcohol tolerance, and you'll end up with a sweet, high ABV wine.

I still suggest reading through the instructions I've posted, as I think that would answer some questions and explain what to look for and the time line for each step.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 503 Posts
Likes Given: 1810

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakdaou View Post
just wondering why all my yeast still looks like it does in the package except its in the juice...? Is this normal will they start to work in a few days?
Did you just dump the dry yeast into the must, or did you rehydrate it according to the directions on the pkg?

Old 11-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Brew View Post
That's not really the case- you can allow the wine to ferment out, and incrementally add more sugar. It will overwhelm the yeast strain's alcohol tolerance, and you'll end up with a sweet, high ABV wine.

I still suggest reading through the instructions I've posted, as I think that would answer some questions and explain what to look for and the time line for each step.
I guess I stated it incorrectly...but we both are expressing the same thing. Sweeten AFTER fermentation.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post
I guess I stated it incorrectly...but we both are expressing the same thing. Sweeten AFTER fermentation.
Or during- the yeast will just poop out when they poop out. For a sweet wine, you can add more sugar during (or before) fermentation, and the yeast will stop when they've reached their ABV limit.

The issue might be a sweet rocket fuel, in the end.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:28 AM   #10
mmadmikes1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another way to make a sweet wine that is not Rocket fuel is to use a yeast with a lower alcohol tolerance.

Quick Reply