The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > white grape concentrate & sulfite

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 05:09 AM   #1
toddrod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default white grape concentrate & sulfite

I am interested in adding 2-3 cans of Welchs white grape concentrate to a new batch of muscadine wine (the muscadines are the bronze variety) I am starting up this weekend. My question is that on the cans it list that their is sulfites in the concentrate. With just 2 -3 cans in 5 gallons of fluid I do not believe this should inhibit the fermentation.

I will be using Lavlin Champagne dry yeast

What is your opinion?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 05:48 AM   #2
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

last time I checked Welch's it had sodium benzoate - granted that was a number of years ago. If there is no benzoate then it will likely not be an issue. If there is benzoate then you had better find another grape juice or facimile. Are these muscadines that you grow yourself - why do you need to add anything?

Old 11-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #3
toddrod
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It does not list any benzaote on the can, just the sulfite.

They are my own muscadines. I just wanted to try something a little different. I already have 10 gallons of straight muscadine wine that is 3 months old right now. The recipe I use calls for 12 lb cane sugar / 5 gal. This is a country recipe so no SG was listed. I was thinking of using the grape juice and cutting back the sugar amount by 1 lb per can.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

I've added Welch's grape juice concentrates (mostly whites) to my country wines and have never had a problem with fermentation. I never noticed that they had added sulfites but, if they do, it's likely to stabilize the color.

Quick Reply