Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Where to buy grapevines?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
kdar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Where to buy grapevines?

About 2 years ago I planted some muscadine and got from it enough grapes to make 2 gallons of wine this past summer. Later I decided to put in two more trelises of same length for more grapes, however, I am not sure what grapevines I should buy..... Should I go again with muscadine or concord (like what places like lowes are selling) or should I order some specific kind from online grapevine stores? ( for example Double A: http://www.doubleavineyards.com/).

What do you think I should do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 02:12 AM   #2
kdar
Recipes 

Anyone? Or should I just go with muscadine because of low-maintenance?

Old 02-12-2013, 02:20 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4462 Times on 3248 Posts
Likes Given: 868

I can't think of any wine grapes that would grow well in Alabama off the top of my head, but there are some new vineyards springing up in Texas that are growing some varieties from Spain, that can handle hot weather. The first place to check might be your own Extension service, to see what grows in your zone!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Talk to the staff at Double A, they likely have customers from Alabama, very reputable company, nice people! Make phone calls to Alabama wineries, or visit their websites, see what they are growing. Visit the Alabama Wine Trail website, it will guide you. I have met people who are growing Chambourcin, Norton/Cynthiana, Fredonia, Muscadine, Moore's Diamond( one of my favorites), Concord, Niagara, Traminette there. I want to say Wines of the South competition tends to have good representation from Alabama, so you might pour over their results. Then another good resource is, http://alabamawines.net/wine/, Alabama Winemakers and Grape Growers Association. Plus Auburn University tends to always be researching the best vines to grow in the state of Alabama.
But most importantly you need to know if your soil and lay of the land is compatible for a grapegrowing, because what is being grown five miles away from you may not be possible on your property.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

You might also try Ison's in Brooks, GA. They mostly develop muscadine, but also do sell some wine grape vines. They have been around and are a very reputable company.

http://store.isons.com/bunch-grapes/wine-grapes

Old 02-13-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
MizzouFermentationScience
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A quick 2 cents, Petit Manseng is great in hot climates. It is becoming more popular here in VA because it holds acid through the summer/fall heat. It also ripens very well, so it will have plenty of sugar if you want an off dry style. It is low maintenance in the field and cellar.

Quick Reply