Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Where to brew??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 AM   #1
SamNorfolk1982
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Where to brew??

Am new to wine making and was wondering where i should keep fermenting bucket to start with..is it ok to keep it in a shed outside??/ or is this too cold?? When it comes to transfering to demijohns/carbouys can i keep them in a dark cupboard at room temp?? any help on this would be great

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
Brann_mac_Finnchad
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Nope--it'd freeze solid...

Obviously it depends on your temperature--much below 58F and your yeasty minions will be thinking more about hibernation than producing alcohol. Sounds like you have the right idea, otherwise.

Good Luck

Primary: House Cider; Rhubarb Wine (two batches), Carrot Wine
Secondary: Malliard Botchet, Walnut Belgian Graff
Tertiary (or higher): Mahlab Metheglin

Drinking: House Cider, Oaked Ginger Cider

Old 12-06-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNorfolk1982
Am new to wine making and was wondering where i should keep fermenting bucket to start with..is it ok to keep it in a shed outside??/ or is this too cold?? When it comes to transfering to demijohns/carbouys can i keep them in a dark cupboard at room temp?? any help on this would be great
Anywhere it will stay above 60 deg F during fermentation. Keep it away from kitchens, the temp swings too much.

After fermentation is done, cold storage is ok. (Probably good for cold stabilization.)

Old 12-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #4
FlyinDan1017
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Primary can be just about anywhere, but you'll want the temp fairly consistant. Kitchen, living room, coat closet are usually areas to stay away from. Spare bedroom or den are good. Secondary should be somewhere quiet, dark is preferred. I use the back corner of my master closet on the floor. It's the furthest from the garage (water heater, A/C, etc) is dark 95% of the time (I wrap old towels around them anyway), and the SWMBO didn't know they were there till I told her 3mos later!!!

Secondary: Coco-Strawberry Wine, Pumpkin Wine, Apple Cider

Bottled/Aging: Pear Wine, Strawberry Wine, Blueberry/Blackberry Wine, Mixed Berry Wine (Blueberry, Blackberry, Strawberry, Raspberry, & Cherry), Jalapeno Liquor, Skeeder Pee

Reason: typo error

Old 12-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
SamNorfolk1982
Recipes 

i dont have much spare space in my home, i have a large downstairs toilet which is where it is going to have to go..it does get slightly cooler in there but not cold but was thinking that i could maybe wrap some insulation around the fermenting bucket, to help keep it consistent

Quick Reply