Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > When to stop fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011, 01:55 AM   #11
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Ok thanks. I'm making a pinot noir.

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2011, 01:56 AM   #12
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Original gravity was 1.070, now down to about 0.994

Old 06-18-2011, 02:04 AM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdowd View Post
Original gravity was 1.070, now down to about 0.994
I love pinot noir, but it's not a sweet wine. If you don't like it, and find it too dry, you could sweeten it. But then it wouldn't be a pinot noir anymore- and a wine snob would find it very weird tasting. If you want a sweet wine, it's easier to start with a sweet kit. I'm a red wine fan, so I love the dry reds but I have had some rieslings that friends have made and they are more of a semi-sec type of wine.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:32 AM   #14
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I think I'm gonna try the recipe but let it ferment until wits end. If it's still dry...great. If it's not...so be it. It's my first one so I'll take some chances. Learn with time...

Old 06-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
stujol
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
No. There is no "cleaning up after themselves". It's either done, or it's not done.

I don't stabilize any of my wines, unless I'm sweetening them after fermentation. The only thing sorbate does is inhibit yeast reproduction, to prevent renewed fermentation after adding sweetening. Since I don't sweeten many wines at all, I rarely use sorbate. There is no benefit to the wine at all, and sorbate does have a taste that some people find unpleasant.
I also have not been stabilizing if I wasn't back sweetening but recently I had two different batches start re-fermenting in the bottle. It wasn't intense, just a couple corks pop off and a little sediment in the bottom (they were crystal clear at bottling). Both were exposed to increased temperatures after bottling which I suspect caused the yeast to start again.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stujol View Post
I also have not been stabilizing if I wasn't back sweetening but recently I had two different batches start re-fermenting in the bottle. It wasn't intense, just a couple corks pop off and a little sediment in the bottom (they were crystal clear at bottling). Both were exposed to increased temperatures after bottling which I suspect caused the yeast to start again.
Hmm, that shouldn't happen of course if the wine is at .990-.996 as there are no fermentable sugars left. Maybe it wasn't quite at .990-.996?

Actually, if they were finished and bottled before about 6-8 months old, I would be willing to bet you've got some MLF going on. Kits come with sulfites to work as a preservative, and to prevent MLF. But if the fermentation is over when you bottle, it's impossible for fermentation to restart unless MLF is happening. Another thought would simply be that the wine wasn't degassed, and the increased temperature is causing the co2 to be forced out- but that wouldn't create sediment. MLF may.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #17
stujol
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yes they stopped before getting to .990. One was around 1.000 and the other slightly higher and we have been too impatient to wait 6- 8 month before bottling. (I have some now we are waiting a year on) . My wife likes her wine a little sweeter. After reading up on MLF I have to agree you. It did actually improve the wine imho. I did degas as thoroughly as I could using a wand. I normally give it several attempts over a two or three day period until it stays flat.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stujol View Post
Yes they stopped before getting to .990. One was around 1.000 and the other slightly higher and we have been too impatient to wait 6- 8 month before bottling. (I have some now we are waiting a year on) . My wife likes her wine a little sweeter. After reading up on MLF I have to agree you. It did actually improve the wine imho. I did degas as thoroughly as I could using a wand. I normally give it several attempts over a two or three day period until it stays flat.
Ah. At 1.000, it wasn't done. That would explain it.

Quick Reply