Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > When a recipe calls for fermenting 10 days "loosely covered"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
damdaman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Default When a recipe calls for fermenting 10 days "loosely covered"

then racking to secondary and fitting with an airlock, why is this? I'm assuming maybe to let oxygen in to help the yeast during the initial part of the fermentation?

I don't want to do this because I have ants sometimes that could get in to the fermenter.

Could I airlock the primary like normal if I a) opened and stirred once a day for 10 days, or better yet b) aerate the must with oxygen directly using bottled oxygen initially, then leave it alone until secondary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by damdaman View Post
then racking to secondary and fitting with an airlock, why is this? I'm assuming maybe to let oxygen in to help the yeast during the initial part of the fermentation?

I don't want to do this because I have ants sometimes that could get in to the fermenter.

Could I airlock the primary like normal if I a) opened and stirred once a day for 10 days, or better yet b) aerate the must with oxygen directly using bottled oxygen initially, then leave it alone until secondary?
You certainly can airlock the primary if you'd like. And you can aerate if you'd like. The reason to loosely cover the primary is to make it easier to stir. Some wines form a "cap" from the fruit and you have to stir that a couple of times a day to keep it wet so it doesn't dry out and mold. Once fermentation slows, the wine is transferred to a carboy and airlocked and protected from oxygen at that point. Usually it is taken off of the fruit at that time too, at about day 5 depending on the speed of fermentation.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:00 AM   #3
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 3

shouldn't a cap be pushed down twice a day? not once?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #4
damdaman
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
You certainly can airlock the primary if you'd like. And you can aerate if you'd like. The reason to loosely cover the primary is to make it easier to stir. Some wines form a "cap" from the fruit and you have to stir that a couple of times a day to keep it wet so it doesn't dry out and mold. Once fermentation slows, the wine is transferred to a carboy and airlocked and protected from oxygen at that point. Usually it is taken off of the fruit at that time too, at about day 5 depending on the speed of fermentation.
Thanks, that makes sense!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A few ants only adds character!

Old 04-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
huesmann