Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > When to oak

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Grey_Wolf_Spirits
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default When to oak

When is the best time to use oak. Should it be done during primary stage or during the clearing stage. I am getting ready to start a batch of concord and want to use some oak in this batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

I have some Cab that I intend to oak during aging.

If you oak your concord, let me know how it turns out along with what type of oak you use.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

You want to oak once the wine stops dropping lees, and it's ready for bulk aging. I normally age on oak for about 30-45 days if I'm using oak chips, but longer with oak cubes or spirals. I really like Hungarian oak for strong but rich oak flavor, but American oak is good if you don't over do it. They come in several different varieties as well as different "toast" levels. I think medium would be a good place to start.

I've oaked concord wine, but you have to use a very light hand as it's very easy to overdo. It's not very deep, and don't hold up to much tannin from the oak.

I currently have a beta cross (native grape) that turned out far less tart and thin than concord wine, and I'm going to oak that on the next racking.

Concord wine tends to finish very dry, and so it can be very very tart. Sometimes people prefer it sweetened a bit, rather than oaked.

Quick Reply