Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > when do you add Campden

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006, 12:31 AM   #1
VermontFreedom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default when do you add Campden

I have recipes that call for adding campden tablets to a fruit-and-water mixture and letting it sit for 72 hours before starting fermentation.

I have other recipes that call for putting the must together right away and adding a campden tablet at first racking.

What do you folks do and which might have the greatest negative effect on flavors and aromas?

Wouild you add potassium sorbate instead of campden (after fermentation is done)?

Conditioning: black raspberry port #1, black raspberry port #2; annual apple wines (2); Concord wine
Bottled and being imbibed: Santa's Magic Potion (seasonal holiday ale); gamay beaujolais #1, standard port, blueberry dessert wine, ice wine
Bottled and Aging: dry mead, sack mead
On deck: gamay beaujolais #2, cherry wine, peach wine; Trappist Dubbel; English strong ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2006, 12:57 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4381 Times on 3188 Posts
Likes Given: 854

I usually add campden to my must right away (unless it was boiled) and then at every other racking. If I add campden right away, I wait 24 hours and then pitch my yeast. No reason to wait 72 hours.

For sorbate, that should be used in conjuction with campden for a couple of reasons:
1. Sorbate works best in a sulfited environment
2. Sorbate will smell like geraniums without sulfite
3. Sorbate doesn't kill yeast, just stops it from reproducing. Sulfite makes the environment more intolerant for the yeast. They actually work in conjunction to stabilize wine.

If you are not sweetening your wine or killing fermentation early, you don't need sorbate. However, sulfite(campden) is still used to preserve the wine.

Lorena

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply