Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > What's this green crap?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default What's this green crap?!?!

What the hell is this sticky green snot on my bucket (and implements)? This junk feels like the glue the stick beer labels on with! It's NASTY.

I assume it's pectin or some such thing from squeezed elderberries in my primary. I tried some hot water and Dawn dishsoap, but it didn't really help. I have it soaking in bleach solution for now (overnight). We'll see if that works.

Women are like yeast... You gotta keep them at the right temperature if you want to get anything out of them!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 01:57 AM   #2
sickbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The gue is likely an assortment of various plant oils. It will likely take some heat and PBW to cut along with a touch of elbow grease. If you're faced with this often, a glass carboy or one the newer plastic fermenters repel oils quite nicely.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
Primary: Imperial Cascadian Ale, Robust Porter - Secondary: Pale Ale
On Tap: IPA, Pale Ale, Imperial IPA, Oatmeal Stout and Roggenbier

Old 01-15-2011, 02:22 AM   #3
pkeeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It is "elderberry goo", at least that is the technical name ;-)

Quote:
The Dreaded Goo
Additionally, some but not all elderberries may emit a greenish substance during fermentation. This goo coats the walls of your primary vessel and defies conventional clean-up strategies. It is referred to by various unkind names, but “elderberry goo” or “gunk” are the commonly used names we can print here. It is believed this substance originates from the stems of the berries, but this author has encountered it when no stems were present. This leads to the second theory that the goo is really the bluish waxy coating found on several species, but especially the Blue Elder. The jury, however, is still out on this theory.

The goo cannot be cleaned with water or soap or cleansers or solvents or spirits. However, it is easily cut with vegetable oil and cleanly wiped from the primary. The oil is then washed away with a liquid soap containing a degreaser. Rinse well and then sanitize with sulfite solution.
From Wine Making Magazine (http://www.winemakermag.com/stories/...lderberry-wine)

Old 01-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

THANKS pkeeler! And thanks for the awesome link. They were Wild Elderberries so it makes sense. I'll work on it more today (i need the primary for Skeeter Pee!)

Women are like yeast... You gotta keep them at the right temperature if you want to get anything out of them!

Old 01-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Cool-ness. Just used Canola oil with a plastic scrubby to get it off. Worked decently. Def need elbow grease to get it off. Now to degrease. Going to run it thru the dishwasher. I already used (alot) of Dawn to clean/degrease it initially. I don't have PBW or anything else like that... so I'll just use what I have.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

You could try just a bit of dry baking soda on a damp washcloth too- worked for me.

Quick Reply