What would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrick123

Reaction score
Hi, I started a hard Lemonade on October 23. Gravity was at 1.080 on that day.

I have been stirring daily and it is in a bucket, covered with a cloth.

Yesterday and today (November 1) it was at 1.052. Today I added a bit of nutrient and energizer.

My dilemma is I leave on November 3 and not back until November 8.

With the fermentation slowing I'm not sure if I should put it in a Carboy or leave in the primary.

What would you do?

If you are only going to be gone 5 days I would not be cnecerned eithrr way, put in carboy if you find time or leave it if you don't.

Hi,

My hard lemonade is now in the Carboy; it has been there for a week. Since then the reading has not changed. It is stuck at 1.038.

What do you suggest I do?

Make sure it's warm enough for fermentation, if that doesn't work, re-pitch a small amount of yeast to kick start it.

Most likely reason does sound like temperature. What are you at, what yeast?
I've found that I just do Skeeter Pee in a carboy anyway. Little to no krausen and there's nothing in the recipe that makes cleaning it hard after primary. Some warm soaking works. I know they suggest the open bottle for aeration... but I've had no issue. You can shake/roll the carboy with a bung very easy if necessary a couple times. And leave the bung off during ferment. THen you can leave the primary as long as you need if something comes up again.

Thanks for your replies.

Temp is at about 68 to 70.

In the beginning I had used two packs of yeast and made a slurry.

What happens if it does not start again? Can I just let it clear and drink it?
If my original reading was 1.080 and is now at 1.038 does that give me an alcohol reading of about 5%?

What do you think?

Back