Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > What is up with Winemakers superiority to brewers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2035 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Default What is up with Winemakers superiority to brewers?

So, I am looking to get some grapes. Rather than let them rot on the vine, I decide I'll go pick them and try to make some wine, even though I really don't like wine much.

Anyway, I'm reading a downloaded copy of "Winemaking for Dummies", by Tim Patterson, and near the end, he gives 10 points why winemakers are better than brewers. It's the kind of humour that a wine snob would get a chuckle over. It's worth it to note that Patterson does acknowledge that many winemakers drink beer while processing their fruit, so he does cede the point of beer's acceptance by a lot of people.

Frankly, I don't see the point of including this kind of a message. I understand there is a perception that wine is superior to beer. The facts are muddled, supposed, and at any rate, subjective.

Does this kind of thing give either hobby a benefit?

The book was written this year. The craft beer scene has been growing tremendously for quite some time. Surely he could denote a few lines to acknowledge that there are many more flavors of beer to choose from, than the "Ale" and "Lager" he defines in his humourous section.

Unless he's totally ignorant of craft beer (which is entirely possible), he perhaps should not mention that beer does not age (which is also true for some types of wine, as I understand it from the VERY small amount of wine knowledge I contain.

Of course I understand I'm Getting My Panties in a Bunch here. I could continue my life without commenting and I'm sure I'd get over it in due time (probably when I crack open that bottle of Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout that some people are selling for over $100 on Ebay!)

But honestly, I just see this as a douche (or should I say, Douché) move. It's spreading misinformation and encouraging ill will between two camps that should not even be "camps" to begin with IMO.

I know I don't "get" wine. I don't care for the fruity, dry, tart flavors. I can't sense the subtle nuances that define a <insert hoity toity wine name here>. But I don't discourage people from winemaking, or poo poo the hobby or connoisseurs of fine wine.

Is the message from Patterson simply that he thinks putting down brewers, even in jest, will sell more books? What's in it for him or the hobby? Maybe he's just that ignorant? I can't believe it. Surely he has gained some amount of craft beer knowledge in his years of winemaking.

What is up with that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Twiztidkilla
Recipes 

I have noticed that wine drinkers hold themselves In a higher class then beer drinkers and brewers whenever I'm in my local brew shop their always saying something snarky about beer brewing but ignorance is a part of life

Old 10-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2762 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 118

I'd say it's a funny jab not to be taken seriously.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 10-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wine only makers are just jealous... Face it... If you can boil water you can Brew beer, and if you can't.. well you can make wine.... So right there, brewing takes more skill than wine making.

I make both drinks, and mead...

Old 10-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1607 Times on 1133 Posts
Likes Given: 2652

Its a truly interesting question though, especially for a noob like me... is wine/mead easier to start and harder to master or is that not the case?

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 10-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

there's always going to be more to learn for wine or beer. if you get to a point where you can say "oh, well i mastered this" then fine. but there will always be more to learn. there's just too much involved to ever know everything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
SteveHoward
Recipes 

I never take things like that seriously. Most times, it's just humor, but if someone really feels like they need to feel superior, then I look down on them for that .

Old 10-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1607 Times on 1133 Posts
Likes Given: 2652

"I honestly do believe there should be a ruling class, because I rule" ~Some dude I knew in college

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

This is funny to me because I make wine with older Italians who thought I didn't know - - - - because I only make beer. They were actually made at me the first year I made wine with them because I brought beer to the wine making fest.

In the years since I have shown my ability and willingness to learn everything they teach me and they have become alot more accepting of me (well that and the fact I gave them homemade Sopressata) They could not believe someone my age made something that good, I was 25 at the time.

Anyway, I figured in the end who really cares. We all now deep down inside brewers are cooler than winemakers!

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Farmhousebrew

Old 10-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One of my local HBS has a wine guy working with them who is sometimes the only one in the store so you will be forced to speak with him. Anytime you ask him a beer related question he gives you a smartass reply that is worthless. Now I understand that he’s not a beer kind of guy but still why turn up your nose to brewers who are trying to pay your salary?

shat happens

Quick Reply