Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > What temp is too hot?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2005, 03:05 PM   #1
brutal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What temp is too hot?

I have a problem. I am fermenting fruit juice and the temp jumped to near 100 degrees.....is the yeast dead?? What is the threshold for yeast.....what is too hot??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
NUCC98

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal
I have a problem. I am fermenting fruit juice and the temp jumped to near 100 degrees.....is the yeast dead?? What is the threshold for yeast.....what is too hot??

The temp in your fermenter is near 100?! I think anything over 90 can instantly kill yeast. It's weird, because if the temp drops, it won't kill 'em, just put 'em to sleep until you warm it up again...

You Won't Find Moments In A Box...And Someone Else Will Set Your Clocks...

Old 01-26-2005, 04:11 PM   #3
brutal
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUCC98
The temp in your fermenter is near 100?! I think anything over 90 can instantly kill yeast. It's weird, because if the temp drops, it won't kill 'em, just put 'em to sleep until you warm it up again...
What happened was my heater in my house fried because my basement flooded. So the heater I use to keep my brew temp regulated went into overdrive because everything else around the heater was cold.

Old 01-26-2005, 04:15 PM   #4
NUCC98

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal
What happened was my heater in my house fried because my basement flooded. So the heater I use to keep my brew temp regulated went into overdrive because everything else around the heater was cold.

OK, well....like I said, as long as the temp in the actual fermenter is under 90, I think you should be safe...just wait a day or so. But, if the temp of the wort definitely got that high, I'm almost positive your yeast is dead. I think in that case, you may be able to just pitch another batch, but I'm not 100% sure....

You Won't Find Moments In A Box...And Someone Else Will Set Your Clocks...

Old 01-26-2005, 04:17 PM   #5
brutal
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUCC98
OK, well....like I said, as long as the temp in the actual fermenter is under 90, I think you should be safe...just wait a day or so. But, if the temp of the wort definitely got that high, I'm almost positive your yeast is dead. I think in that case, you may be able to just pitch another batch, but I'm not 100% sure....
Okay thanks for the help!!!!!

Old 03-22-2005, 11:08 PM   #6
mumba
Recipes 

make a new starter if you think its dead but add it very slow or you can have a real mess on your hands

Quick Reply