Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > What does using two packets of yeast do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
GooBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What does using two packets of yeast do?

Ferment twice as fast? Or does it throw off the taste of wine?

Just wondering, the GF picked up two packets of the same red star yeast by accident and I dont think the yeast will last long enough for our next batch in the fridge and I hate to see it go to waste

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 782 Times on 545 Posts
Likes Given: 2080

Mostly using 2 packets of yeast in 1 5 or 6 gallon batch does 2 things: increase the initial yeast population, which means the optimal colony population will be reached in about 1/2 the usual time; the effect on fermentation time with this is negligible. The 2nd thing it does is cost more money. You can increase the culture population simply by using a yeast starter, it costs about a quarter to mix one up. I always use a yeast starter.

I've used Red Star Premire Cuvee dry yeast that sat in my fridge for a whole year & had zero problems with it. As always, I used a yeast starter. A yeast starter can save you the trouble of wondering if your yeast is still viable or not; for the cost of a little sugarwater & maybe a pinch of nutrients, you know if it's still good in about 20 minutes or so. Hope you find this info useful, GF.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3155 Times on 3062 Posts
Likes Given: 167

If it is dry yeast it will continue to be viable for more than a year if you keep it sealed and dry.

Quick Reply