Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > What did I do wrong; I would like to do it again.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default What did I do wrong; I would like to do it again.

The other night we opened a bottle of homemade wine - a rhubarb wine. It had a clear color and a little sediment in the bottle. When we opened the bottle, it popped like a champagne. When we poured it into a glass, it had the effervescence of a sparkling wine. I was pleasantly surprised that we had created a rhubarb sparkling wine with a great color and flavor. Is it normal to add campden tablets (or another stabilizer) at bottling time? I don't recall doing any of this. Any way, the bit of yeast sediment was easy to put up with given that we got a sparkling wine. Also, if we try to do this again, would it be recommended to use champagne bottles and wire cork hoods?

Thanks in advance for your help. mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiInIdaho
The other night we opened a bottle of homemade wine - a rhubarb wine. It had a clear color and a little sediment in the bottle. When we opened the bottle, it popped like a champagne. When we poured it into a glass, it had the effervescence of a sparkling wine. I was pleasantly surprised that we had created a rhubarb sparkling wine with a great color and flavor. Is it normal to add campden tablets (or another stabilizer) at bottling time? I don't recall doing any of this. Any way, the bit of yeast sediment was easy to put up with given that we got a sparkling wine. Also, if we try to do this again, would it be recommended to use champagne bottles and wire cork hoods?

Thanks in advance for your help. mark
I'm not up on my winemaking tech. If you want sweet wine you would have to stabilize to back sweeten. Definitely use champagne bottles with hoods if you are aiming for sparkling.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 04-11-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
Kampo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

you bottled wine that wasn't quite done fermenting. to recreat prolly best to let it ferment dry then add some priming surgar and bottle in champagne or beer bottles

Old 04-11-2012, 02:46 AM   #4
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Sparkling apple cider bottles work well also. You just need a bench capper to cap them properly.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
divi2323
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampo
you bottled wine that wasn't quite done fermenting. to recreat prolly best to let it ferment dry then add some priming surgar and bottle in champagne or beer bottles
This.

Quick Reply