Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > What can I make in two months?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
DeadGuyNick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 55
Default What can I make in two months?

I am teaching in China, and I had ordered some Montrachet wine yeast off the net to make some cider around Christmas time. I have another packet of yeast and a packet of pectic enzyme left, and want to do something with it. Unfortunately I will be leaving at the end of July, and traveling for most of July.

Ideally I can start something before I leave, rack it and leave it for the end of my time here. So does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

If anything I'll just make more cider. After back sweetening and heating it up with some cinnamon sticks it was pretty good after about a month and a half!

EDIT: I don't have any camden tablets, and I can't get my hands on any, so I'll have to just go without those if your suggestions call for it.

__________________
DeadGuyNick is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
GodsStepBrother
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: , Texas
Posts: 1,263
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Make some mead. A nice light mead around 7 percent ABV. I bet you can get some pretty raw honey out there, and some bizarre fruit to make a Melomel.

__________________
GodsStepBrother is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
DeadGuyNick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 55
Default

Sonds good to me! I'll take a look in the mead forum. Are there any threads off the top of your head that you think I should look at? And would my Montrachet wine yeast work for mead? I don't want to wait to order a different yeast. Took me a bit just to find this stuff.

__________________
DeadGuyNick is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mrk305's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,719
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

A recipe recommendation would depend on whether you would like a sweet mead or a dry mead. Also if you wanted fruit in it what kind of fruit do you think you might like. Maybe then we could suggest a recipe.

I made Joe's ancient orange mead and it was much to sweet for my liking. I just make beer. I make lots of beer.

__________________
Carport Brewery, Lilburn GA

Any advise offered after 10:00p.m. should be regarded as questionable
I can't brew until something is empty
mrk305 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 02:10 AM   #5
DeadGuyNick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 55
Default

My goal whenever I get settled somewhere for more than a year or two is to start making beer. I've been reading up on it for years and I get more and more anxious every day! But for now I'll practice with what I can. The cider was pretty easy to make.

As for the mead, I honestly don't know a thing about it. I started looking through the mead making faq thread. I'm down for making something interesting. I've never tried durian, but it's plentiful here. As are most fruits: bananas, apples, oranges, etc. You get the idea. I'm a fan of dragonfruit, maybe I can do a dragonfruit mead?

As for sweet or dry, I don't like too sweet, but a bit sweet would be nice.

EDIT: Looking through the faq, it looks like yeast nutrients will be very important. I don't have any, and I don't know if I can get my hands on any. Will this be a problem? I understand honey makes it difficult for the yeast to do its job.

__________________

Last edited by DeadGuyNick; 05-26-2011 at 02:30 AM.
DeadGuyNick is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 03:33 AM   #6
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 869
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I'd go for a toned down apfelwein (less sugar). At a lower ABV it would mature quicker, and a lot of people drink it as soon as it goes clear which is at about 2 months.

__________________
Primary: Cherry Melomel

Secondary:

Bottled: JAOM, Amber Ale
oldmate is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 05:02 AM   #7
DeadGuyNick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmate View Post
I'd go for a toned down apfelwein (less sugar). At a lower ABV it would mature quicker, and a lot of people drink it as soon as it goes clear which is at about 2 months.
Ed's recipe calls for 2 lbs for 5 gallons. What do you recommend for a toned down version? And just off the top of your head, what do you think the ABV would be (ballpark guess)?
__________________
DeadGuyNick is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
Insomniac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 684
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGuyNick View Post
My goal whenever I get settled somewhere for more than a year or two is to start making beer. I've been reading up on it for years and I get more and more anxious every day! But for now I'll practice with what I can. The cider was pretty easy to make.

As for the mead, I honestly don't know a thing about it. I started looking through the mead making faq thread. I'm down for making something interesting. I've never tried durian, but it's plentiful here. As are most fruits: bananas, apples, oranges, etc. You get the idea. I'm a fan of dragonfruit, maybe I can do a dragonfruit mead?

As for sweet or dry, I don't like too sweet, but a bit sweet would be nice.

EDIT: Looking through the faq, it looks like yeast nutrients will be very important. I don't have any, and I don't know if I can get my hands on any. Will this be a problem? I understand honey makes it difficult for the yeast to do its job.
If you are using some fruit in there as well you will probably get away without the nutrients, though adding some raisons will help a lot, Joes ancient orange mead only calls for those to supply nuitrients.
__________________
Insomniac is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
DeadGuyNick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
If you are using some fruit in there as well you will probably get away without the nutrients, though adding some raisons will help a lot, Joes ancient orange mead only calls for those to supply nuitrients.
Thanks for the suggestion! I found this thread:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/joes...ad-joam-45152/

I think I'll go with that. I can start it this weekend and let it sit until the last few days of my time here. Looks like I'll have 2 months and a few days before I leave if I start it on Friday. I guess I'll head over to the mead forum for any questions I've got. Thanks again!
__________________
DeadGuyNick is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
Winepig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 35
Default

I'm a little late to answer, but 2 months is more than enough time to make a batch of hard lemonade. Cheap frozen concentrate, sugar and regular old yeast is all I use. If you let it ferment in a warm spot, I've had it ready as quick as 3 weeks.

If you want the recipe, I can give you specifics.

__________________
Winepig is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much difference will this make on the OG OHIOSTEVE Wine Making Forum 10 10-13-2009 11:53 AM
How to make plum jam? Cazamodo Wine Making Forum 0 08-18-2009 06:20 PM
Quick wine recipes, done in 3 months? Ky-Ale Wine Making Forum 4 06-09-2009 03:15 AM
3 months fermenting.... Satanta Wine Making Forum 6 12-08-2008 06:22 PM
how much do they make? drengel Wine Making Forum 10 10-28-2005 08:57 PM