Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > What apple juice do you use in your Apfelwein?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #41
octo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm doing 1 batch with just white house AJ and a second batch with white house apple juice and passion fruit concentrate. Hopefully theyll be delicious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #42
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use whatever is on sale. The end result is pretty much the same since it ferments so dang dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 02-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #43
BLTF
Recipes 

Anyone ever used aldis brand natures nectar?i have 2 6gal batches going with this juice its been exactly 3wks today.theres still a small amount of activity in the airlock but its still very cloudy,does the quality of the juice determine how clear it will be?

Old 02-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #44
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I used Murray's Apple Juice from Roanoke, VA. I was trying to decide between an apple juice that was made in Washington and this Murray's stuff, and I said to the SWMBO "Washington's famous for their apples... Hmmm..." to which she replied "And Roanoke is famous for mysteriously vanishing people." So we had a winner.

The stuff has a lot of sediment, and I mean A LOT. I'm wondering if I should have poured the stuff through a strainer? In my five gallon batch I have probably about 2-3 inches of sediment sitting at the bottom of my carboy. I'm planning on keeping it in the carboy until late September. Is this doable, or should I bottle/keg at some point and keep until then?

Old 02-19-2010, 10:50 PM   #45
Pick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just made a gallon with Murray's Cider!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #46
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
Just made a gallon with Murray's Cider!
Did you strain out the sediment, or no?

Old 02-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #47
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I didn't use cider, but unfiltered organic apple juice. Didn't strain, but also didn't suck up the majority of the sediment when I bottled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA7 View Post
Did you strain out the sediment, or no?

GrassLands Brewery
PhelanKA7 Likes This 
Old 10-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #48
dunlapjc3
Recipes 

as far as the unfiltered, pasteurized apple juice goes...that's pectic haze from what I've read, due to heating up the apple juice. some pectic enzyme before pitching the yeast will clear it right up!

Old 10-11-2010, 01:36 AM   #49
Rossnaree
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yes, pectic enzyme is what I'd highly recommend when using cider/unfiltered juice. ALSO, one tip from my LHBS regarding bentonite clay (I've had about 5 pounds of it for a long long time, figured clarifier is the best use for it nowadays) when using cider/unfiltered: Mix 2 tbsp bentonite clay in enough boiling water to dissolve it (about 2 cups ought to do it), cool to room temp, pour into carboy/fermenter, then pour most of your juice in to mix the bentonite, add pectic enzyme, follow up with what Ed's recipe calls for regarding pitching the yeast with the last bit of juice. It will help clear things well, and a LOT faster, without otherwise affecting the results.

As for what I use - my in-laws own several orchards including the 92-acres surrounding my property. And they make the best cider I've ever had anywhere, ever. It's a matter of fierce family pride, third generation orchard/fruit farm. Pasteurized per NYS requirements because of their company size, but no preservatives whatsoever. For you guys that are local, that'd be Twin Orchards in New Hartford.

Some knowledge will never be shared, not from a desire to conceal it, but because it is so common to the individual that it is assumed to be already known.

Primary: Chardonel
Secondary: Apfelwein, Chambourcin, Blackstone Pond American Ale, King of the North, Concord, 2nd wine from pulp of both
Bottled: Bavarian Hefeweizen, Dortmunder, King of the North (2010), Apfelwein (2010), Lesser Wilderness Mead (2010), King of the North (2nd wine - 2010)

Old 10-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #50
billism
Recipes 

Sorry to jack up this old thread. But I was wondering how this turned out? I just started a 5 gallon batch of apple cider from the same Central Market organic unfiltered apple juice. I am using Wyeast British Ale yeast as suggested by my LHBS. Did your batch come out sweet or dry or somewhere in between? Also, why would you bottle from the primary next time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteph2747 View Post
Mine was organic, unfiltered too. UV pasteurized, I believe. Central Market brand. I am definitely bottling from the primary next time!

Remember the 3 P's....
PATIENCE
PATIENCE
PATIENCE

It's hard to wait. If your apfelwein is still dropping lees in the bottle, it can be unsightly or unappetizing. I drank a wonderful blueberry shiraz that was 2004, and it was sooooo good...until on the last 2 glasses, a bunch of sediment fell out. I knew it was safe, but I didn't want to drink it! Clearing is for aesthetics...it's one of the elements wines are judged on in competitions. Like I said, if you don't care, then go for it. I, for one, am waiting. :P

- Bill K.

Quick Reply