Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > What apple juice do you use in your Apfelwein?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 02:26 AM   #1
Mountainbeers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What apple juice do you use in your Apfelwein?

What apple juice do you use in your Apfelwein OR if you've used multiple brands what turned out to be your favorite?

Also, if you can find it/remember it, how much did you pay per gallon for this brand?

On Deck: Apfelwein
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning:
Drinking:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 02:28 AM   #2
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Motts is what I used every time I made it.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:02 AM   #3
Mountainbeers
Recipes 

For what it's worth I started with Walmart Great Value brand. Just want to know if increased quality is going to significantly increase the taste of my Apfelwein.

On Deck: Apfelwein
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning:
Drinking:

Old 12-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
Simon123
Recipes 

As long as it's 100% apple juice with no preservatives, I don't really care about the brand. :-)

Cheers!

---
ITB too.
http://www.homemadewinesecrets.com/

Old 12-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #5
marzsit
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

i started my first 2 batches on august 25, both are still bubbling away in primary and i'm going to let them sit for 6 months total before kegging (january 25, 2010)

i used 10 gallons of tree top, fresh from eastern washington.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

"Old Orchard" from Fareway, usually on sale at $2.89-2.99 (usually $3.98).

I have about 6-9 batches bottled. Some batches have more bottles left than others, but they are disappearing now that it's colder outside.

I have about 11 gallons of the Apple Juice and Apple Cider on the shelves though.

I also have a couple cans of "Old Orchard" frozen concentrate in the freezer. Don't remember what I paid for them.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #7
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I started with the Wallyworld brand($1.87 3 quart) and Old Orchard frozen concentrate.
But now I use Indian Summer as all the apples used are grown in the USA (very important to me as Indian Summer brand used to be made here in my hometown!) and the gallons have been on sale for $3.58!
I have used the Meijer brand as long as it has USA apples stamped on it.. their 1/2 gallon ones($1.50 on sale) are made from USA apples but the gallons($3.79 sales) of the same brand have mixed juice from anywhere from Argentina to Brazil to China to USA to Canada. (disclaimer- not that there is anything wrong with these countries, I just am trying to buy more local and support the USA, If you live in different countries you should buy local too!)
But for concentrates I like the Old Orchard the best and the different flavors they have will be fun to add. Their cost is $1.16 per 12oz.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I used a concentrate. Fresh juice was running $8/gallon this year from the orchard I normally go to. A wet May made for very few apples this year.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
Mista_Sparkle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just found out that the cheapie grocer store near campus has 100% apple juice for $1.30 for 2 Qts, previously I had been spending about $4 a gallon and they had vitamin C added. I dont think it has a real brand name though, but the store was Save-A-Lot

Primary #1+Auxiliary: Burning River Pale Ale clone
Primary #2: empty
Primary #3: EdWorts Apfelwein #4
Conditioning/Drinking:Brewers Best Belgian Tripel, Apfelwein #3, EdWorts Apfelwein #2, Cranapple Wine, Routers Share Network Closet Strong Scotch Ale, McCormack's Old Malt Oatmeal Stout

Old 12-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
vvolf27
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tree Top Apple juice from Costco $3.48 gal. Tree Top Apple juice from Walmart, $3.88 gal.

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results."
~Sir Winston Churchill

Quick Reply