Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Welch's Wine - First try

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
agrtek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Welch's Wine - First try

I've used this yeast before on a 5 gallon batch of Apfelwein. Thought I might try my hand at a darker variety of wine.

Yeast: Lalvin EC-1118 Batch Size (Gallons): 1 Original Gravity: 1.138 Final Gravity: (not done yet) Boiling Time (Minutes): 0.0

128 oz Welch’s 100% Grape Juice
2lbs Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp. Diammonium Phosphate
Lalvin EC-1118 Wine Yeast

Bring 64oz juice to boil and dissolve in the sugar and diammonium phosphate. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Remove from heat, add remaining juice. Monitor temperature, at 104 degrees Fahrenheit sprinkle yeast across the top of the liquid. Wait 15 minutes. Stir well and transfer to 1 gallon carboy leave a couple inches from “full” to provide room for fermentation and rubber stopper with air lock.
Fill air lock with vodka and fit with stopper in neck of carboy.
Let stand for a while.

Drinking: I tend to prefer mixed drinks, and I'm not much of a beer fan, I figure this will change once I am in control of beverage being made

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

#1 you'll need to add some pectic enzyme to this, as you boiled a portion of the juice - like as not your brew will never clear due to a pectic haze. (assuming you care if it's cloudy or not.)

#2 Highly reccomend you rig a blow off tube for this - EC-1118 has a habit of being pretty vigorous depending on the initial sugar content of the brew -judging by your headspace, the yeast you've selected, and the ass ton of fermentables you put in there... I'm thinking that airlock is gonna be clogged in about 72 hours.

#3 2# of sugar is what I put in a 5 gallon batch for a "medium/strong") alchohol kick - so you are likely going to get rocket fuel -this one will probably need a little "time out" before it comes into it's own.

Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Old 03-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
agrtek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffalupagus View Post
#1 you'll need to add some pectic enzyme to this, as you boiled a portion of the juice - like as not your brew will never clear due to a pectic haze. (assuming you care if it's cloudy or not.)
thanks, I'm new to this, but how will I be able to tell if it's cloudy or not?

Quote:
#2 Highly reccomend you rig a blow off tube for this - EC-1118 has a habit of being pretty vigorous depending on the initial sugar content of the brew -judging by your headspace, the yeast you've selected, and the ass ton of fermentables you put in there... I'm thinking that airlock is gonna be clogged in about 72 hours.
Maybe, It's got a steady pace right now (started last night). and this yeast ferments quit slowly in my house (Never gets above 70). The apfelwein never devoped much, just a thin layer of bubbles, will the grape juice change this much?

Quote:
#3 2# of sugar is what I put in a 5 gallon batch for a "medium/strong") alchohol kick - so you are likely going to get rocket fuel -this one will probably need a little "time out" before it comes into it's own.
Knock it up a notch! My 5 gallon got 3lbs brown 3lbs granulated, and a cup of honey!

I like to max out the sugar, put in more than the yeast can ferment.

I've been looking into small wine barrels for aging (2 - 5 gallon size) but by god they are expensive. Whats recommended for aging this?
Drinking: I tend to prefer mixed drinks, and I'm not much of a beer fan, I figure this will change once I am in control of beverage being made

Old 03-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 922 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 2518

I think the EC-1118 is going to blow the top off your airlock, you might want to use a blowoff tube on this, or place the carbouy in a bucket & hope it doesn't squirt out the top of your airlock. with an OG of 1.138, your ABV @ an FG of 1.000 is 18.75%... EC-1118 has an alcohol tolerance of 18% you might be able to reach 19% or MAYBE 20% by using stepped nutrient additions. As is, this is going to be some sweet tasting rocket fuel. Might take a while for this to age, and might be best served in a shot glass. I hope this turns out well for you. Regards, GF.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
DylansDad
Recipes 

Wow out of pure curiosity and a desire to make something strong, I may need to try this out. I keep wanting to make Apfelwein but the wife says no "prison juice".

mmmmmmmmmmm Beer.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
borracho_brewer
Recipes 

No Apfelwein because it's prison juice, but you're considering concord rocket fuel? That's as Pruno as it gets!

People like to mess with concord wine, but it just reminds me of this stuff

To each his own.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:50 PM   #7
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3186 Times on 3089 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Welch's Concord wine should remind you of Manischewitz ... uh... Concord Grape wine.

I used

http://www.winepress.us/forums/index...05&#entry69805

for my first batch of Welch's wine.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #8
borracho_brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
Welch's Concord wine should remind you of Manischewitz ... uh... Concord Grape wine.

If you've ever had four glasses of the stuff at Passover seder as a teenager you'd know why that's NOT a good thing.

But like I said, to each his own.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:50 AM   #9
DylansDad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by borracho_brewer View Post
No Apfelwein because it's prison juice, but you're considering concord rocket fuel? That's as Pruno as it gets!

People like to mess with concord wine, but it just reminds me of this stuff

To each his own.
LOL. No I was going to make Apfelwein and just ignore her mockery of it. For some reason the Grape juice just sounds good. Well, it did until you reminded me of the Manischewitz.

mmmmmmmmmmm Beer.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:51 AM   #10
DylansDad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by borracho_brewer View Post
If you've ever had four glasses of the stuff at Passover seder as a teenager you'd know why that's NOT a good thing.

But like I said, to each his own.
4 glasses? Even 4 of the little shot cups from a Bar Mitzvah will tell you it's a bad thing. Thanks for reminding me how bad it really can be.

mmmmmmmmmmm Beer.

Quick Reply