Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Welch's White + fruit (and other questions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
ModlrMike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Welch's White + fruit (and other questions)

Hey gang...

I just finished making a batch of Welch's white with EC-1118 as the yeast, which turned out great. I'm curious to know that if I used two cans of concentrate with some fruit and water, how much fruit would I need per 1 gallon batch? Would two cans be too much? I'm interested in plum, peach, or black currant to start. I can get plums and peaches at the supermarket in the summer, and there's some berry farms nearby that have the currants.

Second question... would a similar approach using jam be possible? If I used 500gm (~ 1lb) of jam per gallon would that work?

Finally, is there any real difference between the oak you buy at the wine store and the oak you buy at the lumber yard... other than the outrageous price difference? Could you use lumber yard oak?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The jam may cause a pectin problem. You may over come it with extra enzyme. Also I wouldn't trust the lumber yard oak. I kinda doubt it is as "clean" as the homebrew store oak. I realize this is a month late. Hopefully you haven't made formaldehyde blackbery jam wine.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Jajosk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModlrMike View Post
Hey gang...

I just finished making a batch of Welch's white with EC-1118 as the yeast, which turned out great. I'm curious to know that if I used two cans of concentrate with some fruit and water, how much fruit would I need per 1 gallon batch? Would two cans be too much? I'm interested in plum, peach, or black currant to start. I can get plums and peaches at the supermarket in the summer, and there's some berry farms nearby that have the currants.

Second question... would a similar approach using jam be possible? If I used 500gm (~ 1lb) of jam per gallon would that work?

Finally, is there any real difference between the oak you buy at the wine store and the oak you buy at the lumber yard... other than the outrageous price difference? Could you use lumber yard oak?
Good to see a fellow prairie man here!
I'm planning on a white wine with Wellch's as well. Could you post your recipe here please? Thanks from S'toon

Old 04-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
divi2323
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

In reference to the oak question, there's a HUGE difference. The oak from the lhbs has been toasted. You can toast your own but your results are going to vary widely.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jajosk View Post
Good to see a fellow prairie man here!
I'm planning on a white wine with Wellch's as well. Could you post your recipe here please? Thanks from S'toon
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/welc...ce-wine-21093/

Old 04-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
ChaosStout
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModlrMike View Post
Hey gang...

You want to use at least 5lb of fruit per gallon to really get the fruit flavor

Old 04-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
kk1181
Recipes 

The oak at the lumber yard is moist and the oak for wine is dried and cured and made for wine...

Old 04-24-2012, 04:49 AM   #8
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 54

dry it out, throw it on a fire for bit, boil it, and put it in your wine...

Quick Reply