New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Welch's Grape Concentrate and Grape Concentrate Cocktail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The airlock should not be an issue but five packs of yeast...just a lot to me. But then again the only time I use bread yeast is JMAO.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #12
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnBloodhound View Post
Oh and I stuck a airlock on it should I be worried?
Not about the airlock, but the bread yeast will make it taste awful!

Just because something CAN ferment, does not mean it SHOULD be fermented.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #13
TnBloodhound
Recipes 

Well I did say I was a newby.Is there anyway I maybe able to lighten the awful taste of the bread yeast?

Old 01-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #14
Sammyk
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

If it has not been too long I am wondering if you can scoop the yeast off?

Old 01-25-2013, 02:18 AM   #15
TnBloodhound
Recipes 

It's been thumping away for the past two days!!!!

Old 01-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #16
BeginnerBill
Recipes 

My recipe was much simpler. I just used 6 welches grape cocktail (wasn't suppose to be the cocktail) concentrate, 5 pounds sugar, and 1 package of red wine yeast (don't know what kind).
OG was 1.070 and today I got curious and it was 1.050. That reading might be off because it was still throwing off bubbles. Tasted pretty good but too sweet still. Back to the closet with it.
Is there a way to stop fermentation if I want a sweeter wine? This is my first batch btw.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:07 AM   #17
TnBloodhound
Recipes 

Saramc ,after my must gets done how many packs of turbo yeast and sugar should I add ?

Old 01-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #18
saramc
Recipes 

Quote:
Saramc ,after my must gets done how many packs of turbo yeast and sugar should I add ?
Ok, quick calculation of your OG based off of 10# sugar alone, not counting the five cans concentrate, has you at around 1.094, which if your bread yeast utilizes all of that you would reach an ACV of around 12.4%. In all reality, the grape flavor is going to be quite low since the typical recipe uses 2-4 cans per gallon, while you would use four cans per gallon to get 1 gallon of drinking unfermented juice with a typical SG of 1.060...so one can per gallon in your must would likely raise the SG by 0.015. For this case, let's say your OG is roughly 1.109, which gives a new ACV of 14.46 IF the bread yeast ferments it all out.
If you are going to use turbo yeast, which I would not on this, you need to add enough sugar to have a new OG of at least 1.165 to reach 22% if the turbo yeast will take over the bread yeast, and I would add it sooner than later because it is difficult to establish a yeast in an established alcohol base, such as waiting for this to ferment out and then pitching new yeast.
--FYI, takes five cups of sugar to raise SG of five gallons by 0.020--you need to raise SG by 0.056 to get there, 1.165ish. Based on my calculations you could add another three cans per gallon of grape concentrate, that would account for 0.045, but 4/gal would take you just over the target. Plus, you would really need to add it in stages, like every drop of 0.030 points, need hydrometer, because a yeast cannot handle all that fermentable up front.
*BUT, and I seriously mean it, you would be better off just letting this experiment ferment out and punch up the ACV with some pure grain or vodka if that is what you want.
Recommendation, if you want this sweeter than where it ends up finishing be sure to stabilize with k-meta plus sorbate after it clears and sweeten to taste with sugar or perhaps some frozen but thawed concentrate to bring some of the concord back. Plus, invest in a hydrometer, please.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:17 AM   #19
TnBloodhound
Recipes 

Saramc,I took your advice and got a hydrometer and the reading right now is sg 1.030/abv 3.5/balling 6.5 and I did get a pack of turbo yeast like you suggested I also got a bottle of brewers best artificial flavoring(peach)but since I'm a newby I'm still not real sure on how to use the hydrometer since I didn't take a reading before I pitched the yeast,so how much sugar would you suggest adding and should I wait to add the flavor after I stabilize?THANKS....

Old 01-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #20
saramc
Recipes 

Quote:
Saramc,I took your advice and got a hydrometer and the reading right now is sg 1.030/abv 3.5/balling 6.5 and I did get a pack of turbo yeast like you suggested I also got a bottle of brewers best artificial flavoring(peach)but since I'm a newby I'm still not real sure on how to use the hydrometer since I didn't take a reading before I pitched the yeast,so how much sugar would you suggest adding and should I wait to add the flavor after I stabilize?THANKS....
Go back and reread my post, look at the area that starts with '--'. As far as how to use your hydrometer, use web search engine and review a video or two. It is simple once you watch someone demonstrate.
FWIW, the SG of 1.030 is what remains of potentially fermentable sugar in your must, you have about 3.5% of alcohol left to create--if your must is viable. You may be close to the end of your ferment with bread yeast, since many say it dies off at 10-11%. I calculated you likely had a total original gravity of approx 1.109, and if you are at end SG of 1.030, your ACV now is approx 10.5%. With the alc content you are at now the turbo yeast may not establish and take off in your must...just cautioning you. I do not work with turbo yeast, you could call the LHBS or Customer Service for yeast and ask if the turbo yeast will establish if you pitch in an active must at 10.5%.
Hold off on the flavoring, you may not want it...definitely an end process.

What ACV do you want this to ideally finish at? I did mention in the -- area of what to do if you want to try to end up with 22% ACV...assuming the turbo yeast takes over. If you want to add just pure sugar you need to add approx 12.5 cups/5 gallons.

But before you do this, keeping in mind this wine is young...have you tasted it? Put a four ounce sample in refrig, take a sip when chilled, then add sugar by 1/8th teaspoon increments and taste. You may find you want this batch to just age and clear, stabilize and backsweeten.

Quick Reply