Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Welches Grape Juice Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 05:38 AM   #11
ilikebeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenae
Yep, I've made it. It's actually pretty good. Just make sure you use the 100% juice. (It's on the label). And no added corn syrup, etc. Here's the recipe:

Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine
2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast (any, but I like Montrachet)

Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.

This is not "fine wine", more along the lines of Mogen David. We drink it with dinner and/or when friends come over and we all like it. You can use white (niagara) or purple (concord) grape juice for a white or red wine. I've heard that other people use white grape/peach or white grape/raspberry the same way but I've never tried that.

Lorena
i use a similar recipe and it works out great. i have tried with grape, apple, banana-apple, cranberry-apple, and strawberry-apple.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2006, 05:02 PM   #12
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoym8e
what??? I don't get it.
I read the mean that this will make geat prison hooch.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter
Rvoogel Likes This 
Old 11-15-2006, 07:22 PM   #13
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Does the purple concentrate turn red after fermentation?

Old 11-16-2006, 12:10 AM   #14
ilikebeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew
Does the purple concentrate turn red after fermentation?
mine [purple welches] have turned a shade of red/purple... not good with colors. Just picture it getting a little lighter and clearer.. that is the color it turns. As stated below, the color doesnt change that much.

Last edited by ilikebeer; 11-18-2006 at 10:37 PM.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:20 AM   #15
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Is that because there are no grape skins to turn it red?

Old 11-18-2006, 03:29 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 830

The purple grape juice makes wine that is purple. The white grape juice makes wine that is white. There isn't any magical color change that happens except for maybe getting clearer when the particulate drops out. My dandelion wine is a pale golden yellow, my rhubarb wine a blush color. My Welch's grape (purple) is purple. You are fermenting juice, so you get fermented juice (wine) when it's done.

Lorena

Rvoogel Likes This 
Old 12-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #17
Humpidydoo
Recipes 

I just bought the ingredients to make wine from welches, and I have a few questions. Does this make a sweet wine, or semi-dry? I'm thinking about trying a couple of things:
First, going by the recipe posted by Lorenae. Second, I thought it would be fun to experiment by adding some oak chips to the next batch and find out what happens. Would you suggest that I keep the same amount of the sugar listed, or add less than the 1 and 1/4 lbs. I've never had Welches wine, so I don't really know how sweet or how dry it is.
Last of all, I have some acid blend here and I've had it for a long time. Does it go bad after some time, or should I go buy some more. I'm really looking forward to hearing back from you.
Thanks!

Old 12-20-2010, 01:46 AM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpidydoo View Post
I just bought the ingredients to make wine from welches, and I have a few questions. Does this make a sweet wine, or semi-dry? I'm thinking about trying a couple of things:
First, going by the recipe posted by Lorenae. Second, I thought it would be fun to experiment by adding some oak chips to the next batch and find out what happens. Would you suggest that I keep the same amount of the sugar listed, or add less than the 1 and 1/4 lbs. I've never had Welches wine, so I don't really know how sweet or how dry it is.
Last of all, I have some acid blend here and I've had it for a long time. Does it go bad after some time, or should I go buy some more. I'm really looking forward to hearing back from you.
Thanks!
It makes a very dry wine (tart) but can be stabilized and then sweetened. I don't know how long acid blend lasts, sorry!

Old 02-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #19
Rvoogel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Welchs batch

well just found it on sale ay the store so I got 10 waited till they melted pored them in with 1 cup water each one mix with whisk pore in demijohn till it filled half way poured half a bag of sugar into a pot of warm water wait for it to turn clear then pour it on top of the welches pitch some yeast gonna find out in 30 days

Old 02-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #20
screwgunner
Recipes 

Default white grape

12 cans white grape welches
24 cans water
4 pounds sugar
4 candom tabs
1 pack wine yeast
4 teas. potasium sorbate
make alittle over 4gal. very high in alc sweet and very good

mix water and juice and suger mix till all suger is liquid add 4 crushed candom tabs let sit over night mix and yeast air lock . When bubbles stop add 4tease spoons potasium sorbate. let sit over night and start racking.

Quick Reply