Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Welches grape

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #21
Arpolis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

The energizer helps but is not a requirement. In a pinch you can boil some bread yeast for about 10 min and that works as a good nutrient but that may not be needed. One way you can prevent the carboy from erupting would be to just mix up the must like normal. Then siphon off some into an empty two liter. Store that in the fridge and after 3-4 days have past it should be safe to poor that back into the carboy.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2013, 05:52 AM   #22
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I have wanted too try using more juice per gallon as well, nothing against yoopers recipe but I did always feel like 2 cans per gallon was a bit on the watered down side. That and when you add sugar it just makes it seem like flavored jet fuel instead of a nice full bodied red wine. Keep in mind folks, in other countries there are actually laws that prohibit wineries from adding too much sugar too their wines. A good grape season will not require the addition of sugar but if the brix turns out a bit low then some sugar may be required.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #23
Arpolis
Recipes 

I originally started making concentration wines this way as an attempt to make a cheap easy wine used only for the purpose of making a yeast cake for skeeter pee. But found I really liked the resulting wine.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 07-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #24
Ridenour64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I went out and bought the energizer and earl grey tea. I can't wait to get this batch going. I've made a few batches using only 2 concentrates / gallon and I haven't really liked them. So I'm
Excited for this batch. I think It'll fit my taste a little more.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #25
Ridenour64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

And btw, I read that you make mead, is your recipe for that simple as well? I'd love to hear it. I wanna try some new things.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #26
Arpolis
Recipes 

Yea I like to make mead. I have 3 in primary or secondary right now. Most of my stuff is metheglins or melomels (spiced or fruit meads). Are you looking for a traditional mead recipe or something flavored? I could share my experience in any category I am familiar with.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #27
Ridenour64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Your 2 favorites from each category, that are fairly simple maybe? I have not made a mead yet, although I have tasted my friends. It is very good.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:30 AM   #28
Arpolis
Recipes 

Here is a simple ginger mead that I still have in secondary since October of last year but so far from the samples I really like it. The recipe is as follows: (It is edited from my original recipe based off of what I learned and believe to be an improvement)

5 gallon recipe

12 lb honey
50 raisins chopped or torn in half
8 oz fresh ginger not skinned just washed and sliced thin
5 tsp yeast nutrient (DAP)
2.5 tsp yeast energizer
Yeast (lalvin K1v-1116)

Here is a link to a thread I started for this mead ginger mead

Wash the ginger and slice thin, do not peel. Add to carboy or bucket. Add 2 gallons hot water as from tap. If tap water is harsh then filtered or spring water can be used and heated over fire but we just want it has hot as tap no where near boiling. Add in honey and mix well. Add 70% of the total nutrients and the rest will be added evenly every 24 hours for the following 3 days. The yeast will then need a starter. Mix 2 cups water with 1/4 cup honey with a pinch of yeast nutrients and 10 raisins. Add package of yeast, do not mix it in. Just cover with paper towel and rubber band and leave for a couple hours. Once yeast looks active pitch contents into carboy.

Note: ginger seems to be a yeast inhibitor so this ferment will take a long while. It may not ferment dry for 3-4 months.

Once fermented dry rack to secondary and allow to clear. This stuff clears really well without finnings. Once clear rack again and add 5 crushed Camden tablets and 2.5 tsp sorbate. Wait 1 day then back sweeten with honey to about a gravity of 1.020.

This should give a decent ginger flavor. I like a lot of ginger so I actually added much more to the secondary. If you give a taste and want more ginger just add additional to secondary after primary fermentation.

-------

Here is a recipe all mead makers should try. JAOM!

I can't type anything to do it justice so read the original writings in it here:

JAOM

--------

Here is one more worth a try:

This is a Bochet. It is like a traditional but you caramelize the honey. Basic recipe is like this:

1 gallon recipe

3lb honey
Hand full of raisins (about 25)
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
Yeast (lalvin 71b)

For the honey I like to add to a large pot 2 parts water 1 part honey. Then start to boil. Watch super carefully and when it starts to boil it will expand in volume by about 4x. Constantly mix the stuff for about 2 hours. Your arm will be tired. Add that to the carboy and mix in nutrients, water to 1 gallon and raisins. Rehydrate yeast per package directions and once the must is at room temp then pitch the yeast.

This one should not need to be back sweetened because the Caramelized honey should have some un-ferment able sugars there.

The list can go on and on but those are all fun meads to try.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #29
Ridenour64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Every time I try to do it and think maybe it won't this time. It does lol.

image-1390786073.jpg  

Old 07-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #30
Marypure
Recipes 

I have just been enjoying my first batch of welches Concord. Yum. Tonight I started my second batch of wine ever. I decided to use juice this time. 8 jugs of target white, 2 jugs of target purple, 2 lbs sugar, some water, champagne yeast. Word.
I really like my welches concentrate. We started on July 4. New to wine making, and have enjoyed noticing the changes every day. This next batch, I will allow to age longer and bottle. I want to back sweeten this new batch

Quick Reply