Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Welches grape

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Ridenour64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Welches grape

I've been makin welches grape from frozen concentrate. I wanted to just start using the bottled juice. It would be easier. But I read on the ingredients that it contains k-meta. Could I still get a fermentation going or should I not even waste my time?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

You can ferment anything with sugar in it if you know what to do. I just started a batch of Welch's white grape juice and it has k-meta in it. All I did was start my yeast in a canning jar 3/4 full of water, 1 tsp honey & a pinch of yeast nutrient. After 24 hours I added some nutrient and acid blend to my juice. Mixed really good, removed enough juice to make room for the yeast starter and then pitched the yeast. Within the hour it was rolling.

My batch was a smaller 1/2 gallon batch so it is easy to start. If you are doing like a 3 or 5 gallon batch. While you are starting the yeast. Add all the juice to the carboy and mix really well with just your nutrients and any other additives like sugar, tannin.... What ever your recipe calls for. Over that 24 hour period while the yeast is starting most of the sulfites will gas off through the airlock. That will help in getting things started.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 07-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #3
Ridenour64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just what I needed! Thanks a lot. I'm making a 3 gal batch. I hate how welches sells then by 96 oz. just so they can make us buy another one haha.

How long do you usually wait from start to finish to drink these welches wines? And do you back sweeten. I waited about 3 months for my concord and it's ok. I might have added to much acid blend or something. A little bitter. But it's not bad.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I normally use concentrate white grape peach for my serious batches. With that recipe I drink it with gusto just after 30 days. I don't back sweeten that one as well but I think the peach does really well dry. My little current batch is actually only being used to cultivate more yeast for a different batch lol. As with any wine it will get amazingly better with time but while I wait the long 6-12 months in between my mead batches the Welch's wines can be had in just over 30 days if done well.

On your concord if it was bitter, did you add tannin? Too much tannins added can do that.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 07-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
Ridenour64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think I did add tannin as well. I think On my next batch I'm going to cut out most off the ingredients, and just stick to the basics and see what I get. I want to start making other stuff as well but I just wanna master the process before I start spending more money.

Would you wanna post your recipe, or do you just follow yoopers recipe also?

Old 07-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 54

If the only preservative is K meta then you should be able to get it going, if it has benzoate or something like that then you probably wont have much success, I did one last concentrate wine a few months ago(its still bulk aging)They turn out okay and you can add a few others things here and there too improve them but for the most part they aren't anything too special. They do make for a pretty cheap buzz though.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:47 AM   #7
Ridenour64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Do you guys have an recommendations for a next batch? I've already made apfelwein. A little more hands on (not too crazy) and is drinkable in like 6 months maybe a little more? I've thought about making some mead. I just want to find one recipe that I really like. And Is pretty strong for a nice buzz.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
Ridenour64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My apfelwein is still going btw. It's been in the carboy for about 5 months. I'm not sure on how much longer too keep it going. I want it to turn out great tho.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I have always wanted to make a blueberry mead but never really got around too it, I have one concentrateish wine in bulk age and I have a kit beer going right now in primary..... The thing about the blueberry mead is, it would cost me a fortune to make a 5 gallon batch and if turned out bad I would be kicking myself for spending all that money on a bust.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #10
Ridenour64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That's exactly why I have stuck with concentrate wines so far. I could easily spend a bunch of money and make something crazy. But to weight a year and find out it tastes bad or didn't work. That would be so upsetting haha.

Quick Reply