Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Watermelon Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2014, 01:02 AM   #1
akardcd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Watermelon Wine

Guys and gals....I have began a batch of watermelon wine...from what I can read it is very hard, but spoilage is my main Concern. I juiced the mellons added the juice to my bucket and pitched the yeast. It was spewing red froth and slime the next day. I racked it into a glass carboy and airlocked it...should I worry about the temp? It is currently setting at about 70 degrees. Also, will it spoil before fermenting is done?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
scumbuster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Interesting question. Maybe the alcohol will stop the spoiling. If its foaming a lot its producing alcohol. Red froth I would expect but I don't like the sound of the slime though. I think all you can do is let it go and see what happens. Keep us updated because I had actually thought about trying watermelon wine too.
Temp sounds about right for most fermenting.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:47 AM   #3
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Sounds like you did not have much of a lag time. So that is good. What yeast did you use?

Once the yeast start going the cooler you can ferment the better. You want it to start fast and then go cold and slow after that for best flavor retension. But do not worry about it too much if it is a hassle. It can still come out good.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 08-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
akardcd
Recipes 

Thanks guys....it was a lavlin dc112 I think....I will keep you updated...the air lock is bubbling so we have action..heard a lot of bad stories though

Old 08-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 33

It sounds like lalvin 71b-1112. For delicate berry wines I like RC212 from lalvin but 71b is my go to for most wines due to its easy nature and versatility in making well rounded wines that need little aging.

Sounds great so far so yes keep us posted. Lots of people really like the idea of watermellon wine but few actually try it and even fewer talk about results due to the stigma of it being a difficult wine to get right. So you rock.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 08-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
Cheesy_Goodness
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 402

You've got good timing. I just got mine in the carboy last week too (after a failed batch a few years ago).

I have something that looks like slime too, but I'm fairly certain it's just krausen (which I had less than 5 hours after attaching the airlock).

It sounds like our process was mostly the same (full volume of juice, no campden, pitch and hope it ferments as quickly as possible, so I used a starter with Montrachet), except I added a box of golden raisins to the primary.

One concern I have is you started in a bucket. Usually that's par for the course, but as you mentioned watermelon spoils quickly, so I put everything in a carboy and let it work with an airlock from the get-go.

What's your color like at this point?

"Wine is fine and brandy is dandy, but liquor is quicker"

Old 08-07-2014, 11:46 PM   #7
akardcd
Recipes 

Right now I looks like a bottle full of bubble gum...the yeast seems to have stopped...no foam on top and the air lock isn't bubbling

Old 08-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #8
Cheesy_Goodness
Recipes 

Mine's about to the bubble gum stage too. Still getting bubbles but that doesn't mean much of anything.

I also added yeast nutrient, but still got rhino farts something fierce. Stunk up the whole house.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
scumbuster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well it may be early to call it a failure but do you think next time try maybe 50/50 juice water? Being dilute might reduce the chance for spoilage. How big of batch did you make? I hope just a 1 gallon experiment.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #10
Cheesy_Goodness
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumbuster View Post
Well it may be early to call it a failure but do you think next time try maybe 50/50 juice water? Being dilute might reduce the chance for spoilage. How big of batch did you make? I hope just a 1 gallon experiment.
The problem with watermelon is twofold (from what I understand anyway).
First is the spoilage issue, but secondly, watermelon juice doesn't have much in the way of flavor on its own. So if you dilute it even a little, there's a big hit to your ending flavor.

Quick Reply