*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Want To Add Fruit Flavoring To Wine Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
SueMac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Want To Add Fruit Flavoring To Wine Kit

Hi,

I've done several wine kits but I really like the ones with a fruit flavoring as they are different from what I can buy at the liquor store. My next kit is an Island Mist Kiwi-Pear Sav Blanc. I'm going to make it as a 5 gallon kit for more body and possibly add sugar to up the alcohol %.

My question is, after that's done, I'd like to get a "regular wine kit" such as a Vintners or Vintners World Vineyard and then add a fruit flavoring to it. Any thoughts on type of flavoring (fruit puree, extract, etc.), how much and when to add? Has anyone done this, what was the process and how did it turn out?? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
SueMac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anyone? Please?

Old 01-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4504 Times on 3276 Posts
Likes Given: 883

If you like fruit wine kits, it might be safest to keep purchasing the ones you like. I think that taking a chianti kit and adding fermentables and fruit flavors might just unbalance the kit, and be weird. Maybe a merlot with blackberry flavoring would be ok, but adding extra fruit would boost the ABV of the kit, so you might end up with blackberry rocket fuel. I don't think any decent commercial kit would give you the results you're hoping for, except for the Island Mist kits or the Breezin' kits.

If you want to do a homemade fruit wine, though, there are lots of recipes around for that and usually cheaper than a wine kit.

You could do a mini experiment to see how this would work, just by buying a commercial bottle of wine and then adding fruit flavor to it. That would mimic what you're thinking of trying.

Quick Reply