Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > a very effective way to "start" skeeter pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #71
A50SNAKE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 88

sounds excellent...maybe i'll do some the recipe way...some the concentrate way...then i can compare...hmmm, likely I'll do the 3G with concentrate, and then the 1G carboy with what the recipe calls for, scaled down of course...and then with the bottles the same way as the recipe, except with the crystal light/koolaid to flavor em up I can't wait...apparently 300+ bottles is enough the wife says, so I gotta start drinkin some of them up before I'm "allowed" to make more SP or apfelwein...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 02:06 AM   #72
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ok, I've got some lemonade concentrate, frozen (but thawed now) that says its 26G sugar per 50ml, and the can is 295ml. so that should be 153.4G of sugar per can.

I think I'm going to add one can, to my 1G carboy and see how she tastes. and see if it takes off again, hopefully it doesn't.

also, my 3G of SP is still lifting the cup on my 3 piece airlock...AFTER I added the 1/2 tsp Kmeta, 2 1/2 tsp sorbate, and Sparkolliod and it looks fairly clear...but why would it still be causing the cup to lift off? I think that means its still kicking out CO2, right? but its almost clear and its down well below 1.000 as well...

thanks for any help and tips.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:39 AM   #73
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

update, I added one can of concentrate to my 1G carboy (removed about 400ml first to make room) and then I added 1/16 cup of regular white table sugar to my 450ml Grolsch bottle, was about 3/4's full of SP and I added 1/8 cup of same sugar to a 750ml wine bottle of SP, to test sweetness and taste...we'll see how she turns out.

thanks,

Old 05-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #74
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I haven't tried the concentrate one yet, but the sugar ones we finished off friday night, still quite a bit tart, made the ladies make the pucker face...which isn't all bad, LOL...

so, I think I'll add some more sugar to the next two 750ml bottles then I used previously and compare to the prior bottles.

I love experimenting like this!!!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #75
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

the 1G I added the concentrate to, the concentrate is just sitting on the bottom...is that normal?...I've stirred it up a few times, but it still ends up having quite a bit of settling.

thanks for any help.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #76
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

can anyone comment on my question above? is it normal to have the concentrate settle on the bottom? I was expecting it to just "blend" with the SP.

TIA

Old 05-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #77
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Wish I could help, but I've only added sugar to mine. I did add cranberry juice concentrate to a cider and had to mix it a few times. The last few pints from the keg were very cranberry also, so I guess when I poured the last ones, the concentrate that was spread out along the bottom got sucked up.
Give it a couple of shakes every once in a while, but I think some is going to settle out regardless of what you do.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #78
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I don't mean to hijack the thread but you guys seem to know a lot about making SP. I've never made SP before but I think my wife and her friends would probably dig it. I have a Saison going right now using Wyeast 3711 French Saison. Looks like it has an ABV tolernce of up to 12% and it's really tearing through my Saison. Do you think 3711 would work for SP or would the highly acidic environment cause problems?

Old 05-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #79
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
Wish I could help, but I've only added sugar to mine. I did add cranberry juice concentrate to a cider and had to mix it a few times. The last few pints from the keg were very cranberry also, so I guess when I poured the last ones, the concentrate that was spread out along the bottom got sucked up.
Give it a couple of shakes every once in a while, but I think some is going to settle out regardless of what you do.
ok thanks, I'll give it a few shakes and see what it does. its only in my 1G carboy right now, so shakin' is easy in that one, and I've used sugar in my 3G as well...we'll see how it tastes soon...

thanks again for your reply.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #80
turtlescales
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You're my hero. I have had a bochet that has been stuck for ever despite repeated efforts to get it going again. I tried this with my bochet must, and 24 hours later it is finally chugging away again. I just started two batches of skeeter pee this afternoon, and am using the same technique to get the ferment going. Thanks for sharing this!

Quick Reply