Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > a very effective way to "start" skeeter pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #61
A50SNAKE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 88

ok thanks once again.

I had already done the clearing stage (kmeta, sparkoloid...) with mine, and its sitting in the carboy, but like I said its not full all the way to the top. not sure if I should top it up with water, or if that will dilute it too much.

its not clearing as fast as I thought it might, so tonight I'll likely rack it off of the cake into my pail, clean my carboy and rack it back into that, if its ok to top off with water...otherwise, I'll have to do some fancy finagling to make some room in some other things to get it to fit better there, but we'll see I guess...see how it goes and what it looks like...

thanks once again for your help Daze.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #62
Daze
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

You can add water but needing to add a gallon of water is going to dilute it a lot. Topping up with water is done all the time when it is just a little bit but a full gallon is way to much IMHO. If it were me I would do one of two things:

1. find a way to put it in smaller carboys so head space is not longer an issue.
2. Top it up as is on the current cake with 3 cans of lemonade concentrate (no preservatives) and enough water to get it close to the top and then let the fermentation start back up and work through all the sugar in the concentrate.

- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Old 04-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #63
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

hmmm....I'm thinking I might try the first option, only because I'M DYING TO DRINK THIS STUFF!!! hahahahaha, and I don't know how long the new ferment will take to finish...

thanks once again Daze...I might have to make another trip to Costco to get more ingredients to fire up another batch of this stuff...and hopefully have better luck with that batch.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #64
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ok, got it into my 3G & 1G carboys, right up to the bottom of both necks, plus 3 750ml bottles...hopefully that'll help it out allot more and hopefully I caught it in time.

I tasted some, had to , and it doesn't really have much of a lemony taste...there is alcohol in there, I can taste that...but as for taste wise, I think maybe its just dry, needs sweetening maybe I think...

I'm going to be bottling into wine bottles, with corks whats the best/safest way to bottle this in wine bottles with corks and no bottle bombs.

thanks,

Old 04-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #65
Daze
Recipes 

Was it sour??? mush of what makes lemon, lemon is the acid and sour taste. Sugar will bring back the lemon flavor. Either way skeeter pee needs to be sweetened so you will need to stabilize. I prefer to pasteurize but most people use sorbate and campden

- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Old 04-13-2012, 03:36 AM   #66
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I wouldn't say sour...just maybe, like not much flavor at all, kinda...hmmm, maybe a bit sour I guess...I have already added the sorbate and the metabisulphite (campden tablets are made from that I understand)...so the stabilie should be well on its way...

just a matter of how do I sweeten it now that its in a 3 G & 1 G plus 3 bottles...also, I was thinking of adding some flavor via kool-aid or actually I was thinking of crystal light for some...and same just plain of course...

thanks again.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #67
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

hey Daze or anyone else who can help, can I bug you for some more input on back sweetening my SP. since I have it in a few different containers right now, I just did some quick math and this is what I have kind of figured out, based on the original recipe.

6 cups of sugar = 5 gallons
3.6 cups of sugar = 3 gallons
1.188 cups of sugar = 1 gallons (3785ml)
0.2376 cups of sugar = 750ml

so i'm thinking 3 1/2 cups of sugar for my 3G
1 1/8 cups for my 1G
1/4 cups for each bottle (doesn't that seem like alot? or is it just me?)

TIA

Old 04-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #68
Daze
Recipes 

It takes a lot, in fact I think the recipe doesn't call for enough sugar. I added 2.5 cups to my 1 gallon batch, of course I used more lemon than the recipe called for as well(most of a 32 oz bottle) So I needed the extra sugar to balance out the extra tartness. If you are concerned about the amount... and really any time you are adding flavor components, do it to taste. Add some taste it and then adjust as needed. In fact if it is not lemony enough for you and you are already back sweetening you could use lemonade concentrate instead of sugar.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:19 AM   #69
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

hmmmm, lemonade concentrate you say? ...how much of that would I use?...

I might do that with the 1G, just to see...thanks again...

Old 04-14-2012, 04:03 AM   #70
Daze
Recipes 

you will need to look at the sugar content on the back. 200g is about equal to 1 cup of sugar. you will probably also need to add some sugar as the concentrate will also add acid.

Quick Reply