Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > a very effective way to "start" skeeter pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #51
Daze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

A steady stream of bubbles is what you are looking for.

- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 02:45 AM   #52
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 97

hey Daze or anyone else...when you use the sparkaloid and agents to clear, how long does it usually take to clear?

Mines been sitting since Apr 2nd and its still looking kinda cloudy, but lots of cake in the bottom of the carboy, like up to the first "ring", seems like allot, but by the looks of the cloudiness, there's lots more to fall still.

TIA.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #53
Daze
Recipes 

I would not use a fining agent. simply rack it in to another carboy and let it clear on its own.

- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #54
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze
I would not use a fining agent. simply rack it in to another carboy and let it clear on its own.
Oh ya? & just keep doing that when there's a certain amount of lees on the bottom? Or until it's very clear?

Also, mined about a gallon shy from the neck of my carboy, should I add more water or is that ok?

Thanks

Old 04-12-2012, 02:05 AM   #55
Daze
Recipes 

if it is no longer out gassing you ned to make sure there is little to no air exposure. I would transfer to smaller carboys.

A50SNAKE Likes This 
Old 04-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #56
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

there is an airlock on the top of my carboy @ all times, is that not limiting/stopping the air exposure?
sorry if that's a dumb question, been making wine for years, but just recently found this site, so possibly I've been not exactly doing things the "right" way... thanks soo much for your help.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:41 AM   #57
Daze
Recipes 

air exposure is surface air not fresh air. It is not a big deal to have a half filled carboy when it is gassing as the air in the space is co2 but once the gas is out the wine will be gin to oxidize. the more air in contact with the wine the more oxidization.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:01 AM   #58
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ok, gotcha now... perfect...well, not for my SP, LOL....but I'll have to try to figure something out then...as I have whipped it and whipped it good...going to try to use a my food saver tomorrow night to suck out the rest of the co2.

I only have the large 23L carboys, and a smaller 1/2 batch (I used for ice wines and late harvests) and 3 1L carboys, two of which are in use now for some of yoopers welch's wines...I'll have to try to figure something out to get the SP into smaller containers with less head space...thanks for your help once again...

Old 04-12-2012, 03:02 AM   #59
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

oh, also is there a sign or something to look for to tell if my SP has gotten oxidized?

thanks,

Old 04-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #60
Daze
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by A50SNAKE View Post
oh, also is there a sign or something to look for to tell if my SP has gotten oxidized?

thanks,
sure is, it tastes really bad. You know that taste you get when a bottle of wine that has been opened has been in the fridge to long?? that is the taste of oxidization.

Quick Reply