Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > a very effective way to "start" skeeter pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #41
Daze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
There is a ton of lees, but I figure that'll be an awesome starter for my next batch of skeeter pee.
UPDATE

Just washed my skeeterpee cake today after racking the brew to a new carboy and most of the lees was dead. I know that because most of the sediment that I had originally seen in the carboy settled out after 20 minutes when I suspended it in the cold sterol water used to wash the yeast. Turned out I got about the same amount of viable yeast remaining is suspension as I normally get from a 1 gallon batch of something other than skeeterpee. I am assuming the high acidity caused the individual yeast to have a shorter life span, and that they kept reproducing to replace their faller brethren. May not be true but at least that theory would explain all the sediment, and it sounds good
- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #42
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Oh no! I started my first batch (created starter last night and am waiting 48 hours to pitch) but I was hoping to start a new batch on the old yeast cake after 1 week or so. Doesn't sound that promising if that is the case!

Old 03-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #43
Daze
Recipes 

should work just fine. Like I said I got as much as I would get out of a normal gallon of wine, so it would be no different than starting it on a cake from another win, except the SP cake will be more adapted to the higher acid.

- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Old 03-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #44
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
should work just fine. Like I said I got as much as I would get out of a normal gallon of wine, so it would be no different than starting it on a cake from another win, except the SP cake will be more adapted to the higher acid.
Ahh, sounds good then. Ill give it a shot and see how it turns out. Worst case i can just pitch another packet of dry yeast into it to get it fermenting again.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #45
Daze
Recipes 

rather than just pitching or letting the starter get going for a few days, it is better to do it the way I outlined at the beginning of this thread.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #46
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 703 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I'm in the middle of a batch that I pitched on the yeast cake from my last batch of skeeter pee.

I made it on Sunday and had little, if any, activity. Now on Thursday there's lots of bubbling and everything looks right.

That was a bit of a surprise because, when I put beer on an old yeast cake, I have bubbling in a couple hours and vigorous fermentation in less than 12. I guess wine yeast and skeeter pee take their time. But, everything looks good now!

Old 03-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #47
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Well, I started mine on Sunday with the starter method and 2 packs of 1118 and it was fermenting like crazy in the growler. Added half of the growler to my must and added more must to the growler. That.started going well and the main fermenters had some krausen on the top. Dumped the rest of the starter in on Wednesday and so far nothing is happening. I stirred it up like crazy and there was plenty of carbonation coming out of the must, so I assume something is happening, but the gravity has only dropped 2-4 points since then. Going to see what happens by next week, hopefully it starts going by then and I won't have to make another starter. Surely smells bad though. Not rhino farts bad, but just like something is fermenting/rotting.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #48
fannypack
Recipes 

question for ya daze.. (or anyone else with an answer)

ive had my starter going since last night as per your instructions.. added a bit of the SP must a few hours ago.. how active should i wait for the starter to be before i add more SP.. or add it to the SP batch itself? the apple start had a decent little krausen and was rising and falling, obvious activity.. so what do i look for now?

Old 04-10-2012, 02:27 AM   #49
Daze
Recipes 

after you add to the starter or pore some in to the must and then add more you need to weight until the activity gets back up to where it was before you added and/or took away. make sense??

Old 04-10-2012, 03:25 AM   #50
fannypack
Recipes 

yeah it does.. the thing thats tough for me is that ive never done a wine or anything other than beer so the activity is very different looking than what im used to. i see tiny bubbles rising to the top.. which i know is a good thing.. but at what bubbling point should i feel okay about adding more must or adding to the must? should i be looking for a foam of any sort?

Quick Reply