Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > a very effective way to "start" skeeter pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #21
Daze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckmaster40 View Post
I was thinking of adding a little to my slurry at a time. Will that work?
So you haven't added to the lees from the previous batch??? if not add half and use the other half to make a starter like I did and add and start add and start. that should allow it to get going no problem.
- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #22
Buckmaster40
Recipes 

No I haven't added any lees yet because the recipe said to wait 24 to 48 hrs before adding it. I realized I added too much lemon juice before it was time to add lees. I've added 3 cups of the sp must to the lees in the carboy to see if it will kick off. Should I add some nutrient?

Old 03-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #23
Daze
Recipes 

Look at how I did my starter and do it that way. Add some apple juice or sugar water to the lees and get it bubbling actively, then add more SP mix and let it get going again, then ad more and so on. As to the nutrient, I am of the mind that most wines should get it, especially SP

- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Old 03-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #24
Buckmaster40
Recipes 

Ok. Thanks for the help daze.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #25
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 769 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 55

One more Q for ya - how much sugar do you use per gallon to bottle carb? I take it the pasteurization leaves a little sweetness behind?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #26
Daze
Recipes 

SP needs to be back sweetened, I believe the original recipe calls for 6 cups of sugar to sweeten a 5 gallon batch so 1 & 1/6 C for a 1 gallon batch. Priming only takes about 5 tsp per gallon so the back sweetening will more than prime the SP and pasteurization will be required. If you want to stick to the sweetness of the original recipe and account for the sugar that will be lost in the carbonation process you will need to add 1 & 1/4 C per gallon. I personally will probably add 2 cups of sugar to mine when it finishes so that the acidity is more manageable and the SP is closer to lemonade in taste.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #27
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 769 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Thanks again!

My apple juice and SP starter is chugging away beautifully after two 4 oz additions of SP - can hardly wait to try this when it's ready!

Old 03-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #28
Daze
Recipes 

well if it is chugging away sounds like it is almost time to start adding half to the full bottle of SP.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:42 AM   #29
twd000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

has anyone tried SP with fresh lemon juice instead of RealLemon? This time of year in southern Arizona people's backyard lemon trees are loaded down and you can get buckets of fruit for free. I wonder how much of the lag time is due to added preservatives in RealLemon, and how much is just due to the natural acidity of the juice?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:59 AM   #30
Buckmaster40
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twd000
has anyone tried SP with fresh lemon juice instead of RealLemon? This time of year in southern Arizona people's backyard lemon trees are loaded down and you can get buckets of fruit for free. I wonder how much of the lag time is due to added preservatives in RealLemon, and how much is just due to the natural acidity of the juice?
I haven't tried it but I did read a thread on here somewhere about it. Seemed to remember them trying to figure out how much real lemon juice should be used in place of RealLemon juice.

Quick Reply