Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > a very effective way to "start" skeeter pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Daze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Default a very effective way to "start" skeeter pee

If you have done any reading about skeeter pee you will quickly realize the hardest part about making it is getting it to start. If you make a typical starter or simply pitch the dry yeast directly in to the must the acids from the lemon and the preservatives (sodium benzoate, sodium metabisulfite, and sodium sulfate)slow down the yeast and it can take a week or better before it really starts to take off.

Another solution that is common practice among skeeter pee makers is to simply make the skeeter pee or SP on top of the lees from a previous batch of wine. This is highly effective, however has two drawbacks, first it means you can only make SP when you have just finished another wine or cider, and two if the "starter wine" had any color to it (like a red) those colors can muddy the SP.

I have come up with a third solution that is highly effective and gets the SP going within about 48-72 hours.

After I have mixed my lemon, water, and sugar to create the SP must I sanitize a clear beer bottle and then use it as a container to make a starter with 4 oz of apple juice (I use a 4oz juice box, also I have found yeast seam to really do well in apple juice) and the yeast I am using. I fit the bottle with an air lock and let it sit for about an hour or two, watching for activity. When I have vigorous bubbling I add about 4oz of my SP mix and weight until it starts vigorously bubbling again (usually takes about 6-8 hours) I then add 4 more ounces of SP and once again give it about 6-8 hours. At this point my beer bottle is full, and quite foamy at the top from the activity. I then pour 1/2 of my starter in to the SP must, give the jug a quick swirl and refill the starter bottle with more SP liquid. Again it takes about 6-8 hours for the starter to start bubbling vigorously again and when I get to that point I repeat the previous step only I pour 2/3 of the starter in to the must, again give the must a swirl, replace the liquid in the starter with more SP, and repeat. I continue this process until my jug of skeeter pee starts bubbling on its own, at which point I dump the entire starter into the jug and top it off. I used this technique and made a starter two mornings ago and by this morning only 48 hours later my SP was bubbling away on its own. I have found this technique works extremely well and I believe it minimizes the stress on the yeast so I figured I would share.

- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."
Guido099 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 783 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Nice! I'm planning to make SP and this'll be a big help.

Are you able to get it going and ferment completely with cool temps this time of year?

Old 03-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just follow the temperature range on your yeast and it should be fine, but Skeeter Pee really does ferment better at a warmer temperature, as the recipe recommends. If you opt for a lower temperature it may take longer to finish.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 03-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Daze
Recipes 

I do all my fermenting in my basement which means it is around 60º + or - 4º year round. as to fermenting it out I make mine at a lower ABV, around 6% more like a store bought hard lemonade or wine cooler, so I don't have much issue getting it to ferment out. On this batch I used both nutrient and energizer.

- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Old 03-09-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
Guthrie
Recipes 

I was also hoping to make a batch of this with an abv of around 6%. Did you follow the recipe and add less sugar to achieve that or do something else.

And would this stuff be good carbonated?

Old 03-09-2012, 02:07 AM   #6
Daze
Recipes 

Yes I made a 1 gallon batch and added 450g of sugar (about 2 &1/3 cups) to get the 6% PA. I plan on bottle carbonating mine then pasteurizing.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #7
Guthrie
Recipes 

When you bottle carb will you be left with any lees in the bottle after pasteurization?

Old 03-09-2012, 02:26 AM   #8
Daze
Recipes 

yes a little bit but as long as the brew was clear when you bottled the lees will be minimal

Old 03-09-2012, 02:48 AM   #9
Guthrie
Recipes 

Yeah I'm used to that not a huge deal. Is the drink it self good?

Old 03-09-2012, 03:23 AM   #10
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 783 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
Yes I made a 1 gallon batch and added 450g of sugar (about 2 &1/3 cups) to get the 6% PA. I plan on bottle carbonating mine then pasteurizing.
Did you keep the amount of lemon juice the same? (Or proportional, I guess - 1/5 of the original recipe?)

Quick Reply