New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Using champagne stoppers and wires.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 04:10 AM   #21
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 803 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
I just don't see why it would be an issue when you can buy sparkling wine at the liquor store and it's in the same bottles.
They are not in the same bottles. You bottled your beer in still-wine bottles. Sparkling-wine is bottled in champagne bottles. I would be worried about this - exploding bottles are dangerous.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2009, 04:41 AM   #22
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, I had my first bottle explode tonight. I'll be sticking most of them in the fridge to stop them from exploding hopefully. Anything I can't fit in there will be re-bottled in beer bottles. Lesson learned.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 09-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #23
MartyB
Recipes 

You'll want to rebottle all that you can. The carbonation is there, the pressure is there. Chilling will slow it down, but the glass is already under stress.

Even chilled, have a solid grip on your corkscrew.
Once you get the cork started, the pressure will probably push it the rest of the way.
And there will be plenty of pressure. I had to do the same with a batch that didn't stabilize and started to ferment in the bottles. 2 popped corks, before I got them opened up.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #24
mmadmikes1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

take cork scew all the way though cork and pull it out and let pressure bleed slowly. other wise you will foam up and get a mess everywhere. Chilling will help

Old 09-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #25
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So, I assume getting them close to freezing, uncorking, and rebottling would be the best bet? Could I just let them sit opened for about 20 minutes and then re-cork them? I've never had to deal with rebottling, so I'm not sure of any downsides. Oxydizing?

Another HERMS rig...

Old 09-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #26
ManyBrews
Recipes 

i had a funny saison bottling session this weekend. i scored a whole bunch of champagne bottles outside a wedding venue over labor day. i had them on the floor ready to be filled with saison and thought i should check to see if they cap before i fill them. well i picked up what was apparently a smaller size bottle and the cap fit perfectly. i then filled 5 more bottles to find they would not cap. i immediately got a cup and drank some uncarbed saison :>)

oh well, i'll just save all those bottles and get the plastic stoppers and wire to tighten for future batches. i think champagne bottles look cool, hold lots of beer, and are perfect for gifts.

Quick Reply