Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Using champagne stoppers and wires.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
JediJoel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Some sites say that you can use a standard capper for a champagne bottle and some say you need a bigger bell on the capper so I'm not sure. I have some 750ml bottles around. I will try and cap them in the morning and see if it works or not.

For future notice I have seen many lambics using a small cork in the neck with a bottle cap on top for pressure. I think this is a great setup for Apfelwein and plan on bottling my current batch with both cork and cap. Luckily I have a corker so it makes things easier. Hopefully by tomorrow we will all know if there is need for a bigger capper.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #12
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 898 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 1971

Just to reiterate what's been said above - do not put your beer in wine bottles - you must use champagne bottles. The wine bottles are not designed to hold carbonated beverages and you run the risk of exploding bottles.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #13
cheyne430
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
Will bottle caps fit on a wine bottle? I would have capped them if I thought they would.
no...they don't have the lip and aren't meant to hold the pressure

i also just took my red baron capper and flipped the teeth around and i put a cap on a champagne bottle

Last edited by cheyne430; 08-28-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #14
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Well...I might have some bombs then. I didn't want to use champagne bottles because the ones my homebrew shop had were huge. I bottled it in wine bottles thinking they would be fine. Now I'm thinking I need to break the seal on the corks and transfer these to beer bottles. Damn.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 08-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #15
cheyne430
Recipes 

what size champagne bottles did they have and what size did u end up bottling it in?

Old 08-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #16
cheyne430
Recipes 

on the upside tho, i'm pretty sure the corks would pop out before the glass would break... so at most you should only get a mess on the ground but no glass

Old 08-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #17
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

They had 1500mL champagne bottles. I bottled in 750mL wine bottles. I'm hoping the corks will hold. They were the biggest corks that the brewshop sold. I just don't see why it would be an issue when you can buy sparkling wine at the liquor store and it's in the same bottles.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 08-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #18
JediJoel
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just a follow up even though Cheyne commented on it. I have the bigger 29mm bottle caps which are made for capping champagne bottles. I flipped the brackets around in my red barron capper to handle the 29mm neck but no success. I think you need a 29mm bell to cap the 29mm caps. @Cheyne: were you all 29mm when you capped or were you able to get the 26mm caps on the champagne bottles?

And in case anyone is looking to reuse bottles and doesn't want to or doesn't drink champagne, lambics are a good second. The bottles are 750ml champagne bottles able to be carbed. SWMBO LOVES Lindemans Raspberry lambic... another point for me... another bottle for apfelwein!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #19
cellardoor
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
I just don't see why it would be an issue when you can buy sparkling wine at the liquor store and it's in the same bottles.
They may look similar but I can guarantee you they are different. Wine is still and as such there is no pressure so a thinner glass bottle can be used. There is no reason for a winery to spend extra money on a bottle that can hold pressure when that feature is not used. I personally wouldn't trust wine bottles with anything but still beverages.

Another tip is to buy cheap sparkling fruit juices at the grocery store if you want 750ml bottles that can hold pressure and be capped. Another option is to hit up the nearest hotel that does wedding receptions and see if they can save the champagne bottles for you. Worth a shot for free bottles.

Cellar Door Brewery

Primary: Smoked Porter
Secondary: Flanders Red 2010
Kegged: 10.10.10, Robust Porter, American IPA

"Without algae, there would be no life on earth, the seas would be sterile and the land would be uncolonized."
-Sir David Attenborough

Old 08-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #20
cheyne430
Recipes 

JediJoel- I took a regular beer bottle cap and put it on the champagne bottles i sell here. It worked fine.

Last edited by cheyne430; 08-28-2009 at 08:52 PM.

Quick Reply