Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Using champagne stoppers and wires.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Using champagne stoppers and wires.

I'm about to bottle an apfelwein. I know this is a common topic about corking, but I couldn't seem to find my answers.

I don't want to purchase a corker just yet as I don't know how often I will use it (plus the LHBS is out until wednesday). Instead, I picked up a few cases of 750mL wine bottles and champagne stoppers w/wires. Will these work on normal wine bottles? I don't want to open the package and try if it won't work. Also, can champagne stoppers be put in by hand, or is it something I will need a corker for?

Thanks for any help.

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
cheyne430
Recipes 

r ur champagne stoppers plastic? i found plastic ones at mr. steve's in york that can be done without a corker and they have slots that the wire fits in so it is a snug fit

Old 08-24-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

yes, they're plastic. And just for future reference incase anyone else is wanting to use these...they don't work. I opened them and tried them out. Belgian style bottles have a little nub on them so the wire can tighten around it....wine bottles don't. I'm not able to get a decent seal on a wine bottle with these caps.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 08-24-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

I bottled a Bier de Garde in champagne bottles with plastic champagne stoppers and wire cages. You don't need a corked, but the wire cage tightens around a small ridge near the opening of the bottle -regular wine bottles don't have that, only champagne bottles.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
cheyne430
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
yes, they're plastic. And just for future reference incase anyone else is wanting to use these...they don't work. I opened them and tried them out. Belgian style bottles have a little nub on them so the wire can tighten around it....wine bottles don't. I'm not able to get a decent seal on a wine bottle with these caps.
you have to use champagne bottles

Old 08-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Yeah, I figured that out. I was worried I wouldn't be able to return the stoppers even though I didn't use them. The LHBS called the owner to check, and because I'm a regular, they okayed it for in store credit. Not a big deal. I ended up getting some number 9 corks and rented a floor corker.

I've never used wine bottles. Will the cork be a tight enough fit to hold in all the carbonation? I bottled my apfelwein with 6oz. of priming sugar for about 4.75 gallons. I wanted a champagne like carbonation but not quite as much. I don't want to worry about bottle bombs and since I've never done this type of thing, it has me a bit concerned.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 08-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I did a few bottles of my saison in champagne bottles and wire cages...I tapped the plastic corks down with a rubber mallet, and tried to cinch thhe wire cages as tight as I could (it was really hard, and I don't think I got them tight enough, even with pliers and breaking the wire.)

I've only opened one of the champagne bottles so far, and it wasn't carbed....at that point I wasn't sure if it was becasue it was a larger bottle and needed more time, or because I did a crappy job...I'm kinda thinking crappy job. Luckily it was only 6 bottles or so.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread hoping some people with experience can proviide some good tips....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
cheyne430
Recipes 

if you're carbonating, corks alone won't hold. You need to either cap the tops with bottle caps or ur champagne stoppers. theres also a special technique to doing champagne that is easier done with plastic champagne caps cuz otherwise you need liquid nitrogen to freeze the yeast in the neck of the bottle

Old 08-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #9
MartyB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
I've never used wine bottles. Will the cork be a tight enough fit to hold in all the carbonation? I bottled my apfelwein with 6oz. of priming sugar for about 4.75 gallons. I wanted a champagne like carbonation but not quite as much. I don't want to worry about bottle bombs and since I've never done this type of thing, it has me a bit concerned.
Regular wine bottles aren't designed to hold pressure like that. If you don't pop the corks, you will create a case of glass grenades.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #10
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyne430 View Post
if you're carbonating, corks alone won't hold. You need to either cap the tops with bottle caps or ur champagne stoppers. theres also a special technique to doing champagne that is easier done with plastic champagne caps cuz otherwise you need liquid nitrogen to freeze the yeast in the neck of the bottle
Will bottle caps fit on a wine bottle? I would have capped them if I thought they would.

Another HERMS rig...

Quick Reply