Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Using bucket for secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
Mat1993
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Using bucket for secondary?

I'm about to start some of yoopers welches wine recipe but all my carboys are in use. I was wondering if it would be alright to use a 5 gallon bucket with an airlock on it for secondary. I'm planning on fermenting 60-90 days in secondary. Not trying to make anything fancy, just some cheap alcohol.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I use them but it is a no-no because of the amount of air space. I just use plastic tubing, waxed in with a balloon for an airlock. I ferment mine between 60 and 75 days, but I drink my wine young. As soon as it clears, it is in the fridge ready to consume. It is more for a healthy, medicinal buzz, more than anything. Works for me, but the experts know better....

Old 02-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Here is the "only" thing I have heard, whether it's totally true or not, hard to say.

Plastic is a lot more porous than glass, so not good for long secondary racking. Glass carboys are best for that. How long are you carboys in use for? You could always let this one ferment longer, and wait.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo View Post
Here is the "only" thing I have heard, whether it's totally true or not, hard to say.

Plastic is a lot more porous than glass, so not good for long secondary racking. Glass carboys are best for that. How long are you carboys in use for? You could always let this one ferment longer, and wait.
Good point, and there's a possible solution in that statement.

How about: keep it in the plastic fermenter bucket UNTIL you free up a carboy (whenever that may be) and rack it then.

It's not ideal, but we do what we can with the equipment we have! :-)

Quick Reply