urgent...did i do it right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoch79

Reaction score
Ok so I'm finally making my first banana wine. It's simmering right now. All of the videos I've seen show a milky/creamy/cloudy looking end product. Mine has been going for a good hour or so now and its not cloudy yet. It looks kind of thick but its pretty clear and brownish. Is this right or should I simmer it longer?

Well just a little update here. I continued to cook it, opting to be on the safe side and ensure to get most of the sugars and flavor out of the bananas. It never did get cloudy like I expected. Instead it developed into a deep red/brown rust colored soup. I tasted it and it had a wonderful sweet banana flavor to it so my hopes are up.

As long as you have enough sugars to feed the yeasts, you should be good. You'll make something. Not sure what, but it'll be something. It might be incredible good too, you don't know until you do it and see.

Best of luck.

Were they yellow or black ripe, makes a big difference. WVMJ

They were mostly yellow with some small brown spots. Do you think this will finish out yellowish or will the end product be brownish? For a more yellow wine are you suggesting then that I use slightly unripe/green bananas?

I do. They started as separate topics but kinda changed into the same topic. I have just been updating them based on responses to each. All and all I really just have to wait it out but was hoping for somebody having a similar experience

So to update on this....my banana wine is still fermenting and is currently the same color as my white grape/cherry I have working or even close to the color of a strawberry wine I've seen on this site. Thinking after I bottle this one maybe I'll try again with slightly green bananas to see if I can get a yellow wine instead.

I've never made banana wine, but I would imagine that using green or even less ripe bananas would completely change the flavor profile. Generally the less ripe the banana the fewer sugars in that banana, and they taste more acidic.

I think that is normal. Last time I did a banana wine, when finished it looked a lot like Apple juice. Using any fruit that is green will make the wine more acidic and you won't get as much of the fruit flavor.

Back