Ultra slow Primary fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T_Baggins

Reaction score
I have a gallon of apple/cherry from concentrate. The primary fermentation cycle never really took off like a rocket as my apple has. I mixed evrything up and divided into 2 gallon jugs, expecting blowoff if I left it in 1 jug. From the beginning, the surface had only a thin layer of bubbles. I re combined into 1 gal jug and gave it another dose of nutrient (I should have done this before re combining! it was almost like "mentos-n-coke") Even after 3 or 4 days, my airlock bubbles a single bubble evry 3 seconds or so. I used damn near 3lbs of sugar in this one, OG=1.25 and I only used half the packet of 1118.

I'm sure there are better recommendations for yeast types (which I now have a selection of,) but would this cause a seemingly slow ferment? I thought maybe too much sugar, but then wouldn't that effect the later stages of fermentation, not primary? Or could it just be the difference in the recipe compared to my apple recipe? Apple I use fresh cider, apple cherry I used concentrate. Apple I do NOT use pectic, apple/cherry I DID use pectic. Apple I used 8lbs sugar/5gals, apple/cherry I used 3lbs/gal=15lbs/5gals.

I also have some pomegranate/blueberry concentrate which I plan to start soon. Of the following yeasts, which should I use:
REDSTARS

Montrachet
Pasteur Champagne
Premier Cuvee

I will be using much less sugar in the pom/BB.

OG of 1.25?!? That gas a potential abv of close to 29% lol. If that is really the case the osmotic pressure on your poor yeast use is way too high. That would cause some slowness. I would probably split this into two gallon batches and top up with juice or water to bring that OG down.

Either your hydro is WAY different than mine, or I'm reading mine wrong? ...

It read 1.100 plus 10 plus 2 1/2 lines

1.100+10=1.200 plus half way between 10 and 20 make 1.25 right?

Either way 1.25sg = 15%PA ?

2013-04-23_19.36.47.jpg

2013-04-23_19.37.36.jpg

Ahhhh that makes sense now. You are at 1.125 not 1.25. 1.125 is a little high but not bad enough to cause a slow ferment. I have heard of 1118 yeast being super mad and foamy and then not in other musts.

For your second wine I am not sure on the yeasts. I am a lalvin fan rather than a red star fan. Lalvin rc 212 would be my choice for your second wine.

IC now... yeah, the 1118 will make 5gals blow foam out of an empty airlock on a 6 gal pale (of cider). Thanks for the input there with the rc 212 I'll check it out.

I use the monchrat ( spelling eludes me today) on my blueberry. It came out very nice. I have not used the other two yet.

Back