Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Two bad batches and need some help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #21
Cheesy_Goodness
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The headspace in the fermenter during primary is not an issue- you don't even need a lid and airlock when the wine is in primary. (Covering it a clean towel is fine. I don't know what "average" headspace is in a 5 gallon carboy- it should be none. Well, at least it needs to go to under the bung so up to the opening where it is the narrowest, say two inches from the bung. Some of mine are a bit higher but you don't want it below that.
Initially I was a bit lower than what you're saying, but I was getting airlock activity so I wasn't worried about it. My thought was all of the O2 had been pushed out by the CO2 so it wouldn't be oxidized. Is that wrong?

Quote:
This is not the cause of the infection, but you need another carboy. You don't want to rack your wine to a bucket and then back to a carboy- too much danger of oxidation. You do rack several times (and top up) over the course of clearing and fermentation sometimes, but always gently to a new sanitized carboy.
Tell me about it! I'm strapped for space but I do see the benefit of another carboy, even if it's not being used all the time. Although I did make sure I racked gently. Out of curiosity, what do you top off with?

Quote:
As to the cause of the poor flavor of this wine, it seems that it has to be an infection. Can you describe the character of the flavor? Meaty? Sour? Tart? Moldy? "Dirty"? Sweaty gym socks? Goaty? See if you can define what you're tasting, and that will help us alot to figure out if this is an infection, and if so what kind and how it got there.
It's definitely sour, with a...musty aftertaste? It's predominately sour though, and the peach flavor is minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda88 View Post
cheesy said the taste was sour. To me this seems like:

A. It has an infection
B. It is oxidized
C. It is a young wine that needs aging.
It could be A or B, but I'm fairly certain that it doesn't taste the way it does because it needs aging. It tastes very similar to my watermelon which was definitely bad/soured/infected. I've sampled other wines that tasted young, but not pucker sour and they turned out fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridenour64 View Post
I don't think any of my wines have tasted good after only a month. I would just finish it and age it out. If you keep dumping them out you'll never know.
I take your point, but if it's already infected I'd rather move on as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarekrow View Post
I did not see a hydrometer reading. One mans sour can be another mans dry. Cloudiness can be lees still floating. Just throwing thing to the wall
OG was 1.040, this weekend it was around .990 (I'm not 100% sure on that, I'll have to check what I wrote down at home). I guess it could taste sour when it's just dry, but the color is worrying me too.

I don't know, maybe I'm just over-reacting but it doesn't seem like it's heading down the right path
img_20130820_072648_152.jpg   img_20130820_072718_530.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #22
jlh42581
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

color doesnt look horrible, it just hasnt had time to clear. the fact it tastes very little like peach doesnt concern me either. have you ever done a cider? it starts out almost so thick you could chew it and when its done it barely has an apple flavor at all.

Primary -Blackberry
Bottled Recent - Hard Cider

Old 08-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #23
jlh42581
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

im gonna suggest you put this carboy in the dark for three months before you decide what to do

Primary -Blackberry
Bottled Recent - Hard Cider

Cheesy_Goodness Likes This 
Old 08-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #24
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 54

it needs to clear, that isn't even close to being ready to drink. If you don't separate the solids from the alcohol it is going to taste like crap. The only time a clear wine should taste horrible is if it has an infection or if it has an overabundance of h2s gas. Your wine just isn't clear enough to tell yet.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
Cheesy_Goodness
Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh42581 View Post
im gonna suggest you put this carboy in the dark for three months before you decide what to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda88 View Post
it needs to clear, that isn't even close to being ready to drink. If you don't separate the solids from the alcohol it is going to taste like crap. The only time a clear wine should taste horrible is if it has an infection or if it has an overabundance of h2s gas. Your wine just isn't clear enough to tell yet.
Thanks folks, I'll do that. I guess I jumped the gun. I'll report back with updates, hopefully it will help someone else later.

Quick Reply