Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > transferring commercial chianti

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
Skrimpy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default transferring commercial chianti

A friend of mine asked about racking some commercial gallons into smaller bottles. I told her that it could be done but wanted to know why. She said her mother liked a particular chianti and bought a bunch of gallons but doesn't drink it all that fast and was worried about how long it would take before it would oxidize from pouring glasses out of the gallon. What do you guys think? How long will they keep? Does she even need to worry about oxidation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 54

sure just pour them into some smaller bottles and cork them up and your good to go....

Old 08-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4915 Times on 3564 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Pouring them would ruin them! Oxidation is a very big risk.

Even opening a small bottle, and then recorking and drinking the next day will show you the changes in the wine and it won't be good!

I don't know that they'd be easy to rebottle, though. Maybe try purchasing a "vacuvin" first to see if that works rather than trying to rebottle gallons of wine.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 08-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
jensmith
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts

Rebotteling would be better then just glugging it out of the galleon by the glass full. Use your auto syphon. Add ascorbic acid if you are worried about ocidation. Recork with fresh corks. Use a vacume cork thingy on the bottle you drink out of. I am not of the mind drink the whole bottle the first day or dump whatever is left. Some wines change more then others. Most will last the week and be perfectly drinkable. Yes, some changes, but not "bad" as in rotten. Just different! Think of it as a different wine every day out of just one bottle:-)

Quick Reply