Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Too much Fruit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 02:14 AM   #1
accroul
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too much Fruit?

This might seem like a silly question, but I've been thinking about it too long not to ask. Is it possible to use too much fruit in a must? What happens if I use more fruit that is required for my batch size?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 02:17 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4364 Times on 3173 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by accroul View Post
This might seem like a silly question, but I've been thinking about it too long not to ask. Is it possible to use too much fruit in a must? What happens if I use more fruit that is required for my batch size?
Well, it depends on what you're making. In a grape wine, you really can't use too much fruit, since it's all fruit. But in something like a cherry wine, it can come out very tart and very astringent, especially if the fruit was very acidic to begin with. Some fruits will be fine, even using 100% fruit for fermentables (like apples for an example).

What are you making?

Old 07-08-2009, 03:48 AM   #3
etp777
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The idea in most any wine is to get a balance between residual sugar, alcohol, acid, tannin, and flavor. Too much fruit can over balance the rest. And as mentioned, with something like cherry, cna end up with an overly tart wine. Actually, cider I have going right now may require some added sweetness to make up for tartness of the cherries for that very reason.

Quick Reply