Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Tips on bottling. Or alternatives to bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 03:04 AM   #1
Ridenour64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Tips on bottling. Or alternatives to bottling

Hey guys im just wondering if anyone has any tips for bottling wine. I have a 6 gal batch that I plan in bottling within 10 days and I'm just wondering if anyone has any good tips or methods. Ways to make it more simple. I know that this kit is gonna take up to 30 bottles. Cleaning and sanitizing 30 bottles seems like its going to be a real pain.

Are there any easy alternatives? I've heard about kegging but I have absolutely no idea about any of that. Can anyone fill me in on how much this equipment cost. The keg the co2 and all of that. Or I'm open of any other suggestions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Soak the bottles in hot Oxyclean. That will clean them nicely. For sanitizing, a vinator with Starsan is worth its weight in gold. Use a bottling wand. If you are going to siphon, get an autosiphon.

Make an assembly line. Sanitize as many as you can at once. Move on to filling them all. Then cork. Repeat until you run out of wine. Lay out towels so you don't have to worry about spills. Spills are going to happen. It might be a drip here and there or it might be a bottle. Rinse the bottles when your done.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:38 AM   #3
Ridenour64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Any scrubbing or bottle brushing needed to be done or is soaking in oxy clean sufficient?

Old 01-22-2013, 03:40 AM   #4
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Oxy should do all of the work. It even takes off labels. Hot water really helps the oxy do its magic.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is my method, I take all my old bottles and toss them in a garbage can full of water and cleaner. Then I run each one under the tap to clean the outside and then use my water jet bottle washer on the sink. If there is still stuff in the bottle I use a bottle brush.

After they are all thoroughly rinsed they go in a big rubbermaid bin.

Next I have a pump style bottle sprayer ontop my bottle tree I fill with starsan. I give every bottle 3 pumps and set it on the tree.

I have a drink while they drain.

Then I put my auto-syphon with botteling wand in my demijohn half way, and plunk the wand in a bottle to trip the filling valve. I hold it half way in to not disturb the lees. When it starts to fill I slowly lower the wand in on an angle until it rests on the bottom. I then secure the hose to the basket so I don't knock the wand and disturb the lees.

I know everyone is going to chime in about how I should really rack it before bottling to avoid sucking up gunk by accident....but I've done it this way for ages and I'm not about to change.

Alright, so I set up about 20 bottles vertical in a rubbermaid bin so any spillage won't result in the loss of half my house. I then fill up each bottle, then top up each one to the correct amount. Then I set the wand sideways in an empty bottle and cork one batch.

Then I restart with another 20 bottles.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
Ridenour64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So you clean and sanitize your bottle tree also? But thanks a lot. that helps. Any info on how kegging works?

Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
ajlee
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Yes, you can sanitize your bottle tree by either using a spray bottle of starsan or disassembling it and dunking the peices. I have never heard of anyone kegging wine...

Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
Ridenour64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My local homebrew guy told me he kegged his wine sometimes. Unless I misunderstood him.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The way I sanitize is twice. As soon as I get beer bottles or wine bottles, I fill my sink full of warm water, and put two caps of my sanitizer in it. I let the bottles soak for 1 or 2 hours, then let them air dry. Then on the day of bottling, I use my bottle cleaner, that shoots sanitizer into the bottles when you push down, then use the jet bottle cleaner on the sink to shoot hot water into them to rinse.

Not the exact ones i bought but similar.

http://www.amazon.com/Avvinatore-Vin...bottle+cleaner

http://www.amazon.com/Jet-Carboy-Bot...bottle+cleaner

Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridenour64 View Post
So you clean and sanitize your bottle tree also? But thanks a lot. that helps. Any info on how kegging works?
I've had it for a dog's age and never cleaned it, I just spritz it with acid sanitizer.

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Quick Reply