The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Thoughts on using "used" corks for bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
bpparker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Thoughts on using "used" corks for bottling

Hi fellow brewers!

I'll be bottling my first batch of wine in a couple weeks and wanted to get some thoughts on using corks from previous bottles of wine that I've drank. I have a bunch of used corks and would like to repurpose them but the folks at my local brewer shop are saying no. Are they just trying to sell me some new corks or is this not a good practice? Thanks in advance for the thoughts!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpparker
Hi fellow brewers!

I'll be bottling my first batch of wine in a couple weeks and wanted to get some thoughts on using corks from previous bottles of wine that I've drank. I have a bunch of used corks and would like to repurpose them but the folks at my local brewer shop are saying no. Are they just trying to sell me some new corks or is this not a good practice? Thanks in advance for the thoughts!
Not for long term storage.

I do occasionally shove the old cork back in to store for a day or two in the fridge.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
GinKings
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Listen to the folks at your local brew shop.

I imagine re-using corks is possible, but I would never risk my wine to save on a 25 cent cork. Glass can be cleaned and sterilized easily, so reusing wine bottles is fine. Re-using corks is not. They are porous and have a million nooks and cranies that can harbor bacteria, so cleaning them is nearly impossible. Also, they've already been compressed for months, if not years, in the first bottle of wine. They may not fit as tightly in the second bottle.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
static
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
and they have a hole in them from the corkscrew that took them out of the first bottle.

Don't do it.
This.

The yeast knows what it's doing.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Repurposing corks for long term use in wine is a recipe for disaster. You have spent so much time and effort on your wine take the time to use proper corks. You will appreciate it years from now.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 10-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
and they have a hole in them from the corkscrew that took them out of the first bottle.

Don't do it.
Unless they used a shoe..

Which I would still use new corks.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #8
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 49

does that work on #9 corks? It looks like this is more of a in a pinch situation, what happens if you hit the bottle too hard and it breaks??? not practical, do not reuse corks, they are pretty cheap why would you

Old 10-02-2012, 05:15 AM   #9
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinKings
Listen to the folks at your local brew shop.

I imagine re-using corks is possible, but I would never risk my wine to save on a 25 cent cork. Glass can be cleaned and sterilized easily, so reusing wine bottles is fine. Re-using corks is not. They are porous and have a million nooks and cranies that can harbor bacteria, so cleaning them is nearly impossible. Also, they've already been compressed for months, if not years, in the first bottle of wine. They may not fit as tightly in the second bottle.
A big second to this one. Your wine deserves a good (new) cork. I reuse bottles all the time, but corks are tossed after you finish a bottle of your homemade deliciousness! (Is that a word??) :-)

Old 10-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
bpparker
Recipes 

I really appreciate all the thoughts you guys. They helped me wrap my head around the idea. I'll definitely use new corks!

Quick Reply