The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Thoughts on using "used" corks for bottling

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
bpparker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Kansas City, KS
Posts: 12
Default Thoughts on using "used" corks for bottling

Hi fellow brewers!

I'll be bottling my first batch of wine in a couple weeks and wanted to get some thoughts on using corks from previous bottles of wine that I've drank. I have a bunch of used corks and would like to repurpose them but the folks at my local brewer shop are saying no. Are they just trying to sell me some new corks or is this not a good practice? Thanks in advance for the thoughts!

__________________
bpparker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
novalou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 599
Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpparker
Hi fellow brewers!

I'll be bottling my first batch of wine in a couple weeks and wanted to get some thoughts on using corks from previous bottles of wine that I've drank. I have a bunch of used corks and would like to repurpose them but the folks at my local brewer shop are saying no. Are they just trying to sell me some new corks or is this not a good practice? Thanks in advance for the thoughts!
Not for long term storage.

I do occasionally shove the old cork back in to store for a day or two in the fridge.
__________________
novalou is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
GinKings
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bridgewater, NJ
Posts: 589
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Listen to the folks at your local brew shop.

I imagine re-using corks is possible, but I would never risk my wine to save on a 25 cent cork. Glass can be cleaned and sterilized easily, so reusing wine bottles is fine. Re-using corks is not. They are porous and have a million nooks and cranies that can harbor bacteria, so cleaning them is nearly impossible. Also, they've already been compressed for months, if not years, in the first bottle of wine. They may not fit as tightly in the second bottle.

__________________
GinKings is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
static
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
static's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Posts: 636
Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
and they have a hole in them from the corkscrew that took them out of the first bottle.

Don't do it.
This.
__________________

The yeast knows what it's doing.

static is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: suburb of Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,743
Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Repurposing corks for long term use in wine is a recipe for disaster. You have spent so much time and effort on your wine take the time to use proper corks. You will appreciate it years from now.

__________________

Motto: quel che sara sara

saramc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IXVolt's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,728
Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
and they have a hole in them from the corkscrew that took them out of the first bottle.

Don't do it.
Unless they used a shoe..

Which I would still use new corks.
__________________
IXVolt is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #8
Honda88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pella, IA
Posts: 660
Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

does that work on #9 corks? It looks like this is more of a in a pinch situation, what happens if you hit the bottle too hard and it breaks??? not practical, do not reuse corks, they are pretty cheap why would you

__________________
Honda88 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 05:15 AM   #9
WilliamSlayer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Glen Burnie, Maryland
Posts: 1,292
Liked 113 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinKings
Listen to the folks at your local brew shop.

I imagine re-using corks is possible, but I would never risk my wine to save on a 25 cent cork. Glass can be cleaned and sterilized easily, so reusing wine bottles is fine. Re-using corks is not. They are porous and have a million nooks and cranies that can harbor bacteria, so cleaning them is nearly impossible. Also, they've already been compressed for months, if not years, in the first bottle of wine. They may not fit as tightly in the second bottle.
A big second to this one. Your wine deserves a good (new) cork. I reuse bottles all the time, but corks are tossed after you finish a bottle of your homemade deliciousness! (Is that a word??) :-)
__________________
WilliamSlayer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
bpparker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Kansas City, KS
Posts: 12
Default

I really appreciate all the thoughts you guys. They helped me wrap my head around the idea. I'll definitely use new corks!

__________________
bpparker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When a recipe calls for fermenting 10 days "loosely covered" damdaman Wine Making Forum 5 04-12-2012 12:31 PM
1st fruit wine "Hand Pressing"?? And products I can't find from a book BillTheSlink Wine Making Forum 5 01-16-2012 06:40 AM
Taking my winemaking skills from "cook" to "chef" levels. JasontheBeaver Wine Making Forum 5 07-28-2011 07:49 PM
franzia style "box wine" bags for home made? badmajon Wine Making Forum 1 04-28-2010 02:21 PM
"Winecooler Wine Kits": Orchard Breezin' versus Island Mist SueMac Wine Making Forum 1 01-12-2009 12:41 PM