Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Is there a maximum amount of home made wine you are allowed to store?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2013, 03:42 AM   #11
northcal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

OP, you are not drinking enough of your product... Don't stockpile it so much, live the good life and share your wine with fam and friends.

Good brewing to ya,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
Pennachi
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I'm def not stock piling. Half the bottles were started 2 years and I just got around to bottling this summer and the other half are only a year old.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
Jeremy_84
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think in Texas it production and store up to 200 gallons. For each person the age of 21 and over in the house hold. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I read that off a gov. Website somewhere. Either way 200 gallons is way more then I can produce at the moment.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #14
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I sent an inquiry to the TTB in April 2013 which may clarify some things. But you must check your state level as it will detail any specifics. I know at one point the state of AL was being limited to 15 gallons per quarter in stored product. It was going back to the table.

The question:
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 8:08 PM
To: TTB Internet Questions Subject: Home winemaker year limit inquiry

Can you clarify how the yearly limit for home winemaker is established--is it based off of the calendar year the ferment is initiated?

Thank you, xxxxxxx

-----------------------------------------

The response:
"The Federal Law and Regulation simply state a limit to the amount that you can produce per calendar year. It is always the winemaker’s decision as to when to declare the wine to be “produced” but in general I would recommend that the amount started to ferment each year and the amount declared as produced both be within the annual limit. Also keep in mind that the production must be in compliance with state and local laws so you will want to verify what limits may apply in your state and local area.

Sincerely,

Daryl L. Polley Technical Advisor National Revenue Center, Cincinnati Ohio Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau Phone: 877-882-3277 / Web Site www.ttb.gov"

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 10-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
fuzzy2133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingmeister View Post
It was basically divided into two camps.
A: keep diligent records/logbooks and label everything. if it collects dust...leave it on.
B: f the police.

While it is hard to maintain when some homebrew was made any effort at records help. If someone really wants to make a stink they can and will.
I am with camp C. If you have some one crawling up your anus throwing the book at you, you have been doing something wrong and they have been watching for a few years.

Primary: Empty
Secondary: 1 Gal Oaked JAOM (4/8/14)
Aging: JAOM (4/8/14)
Drinking: Water and Craft Beer

Halbrust Likes This 

Quick Reply