Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Is there a maximum amount of home made wine you are allowed to store?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
Pennachi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Is there a maximum amount of home made wine you are allowed to store?

I may be wrong and it may differ by state but I thought I read somewhere it's legal to make up to 200 gallons of wine a year. Is this correct? If so, is there a limit to how much you can store? Say you didn't drink any, could you have 600 gallons in your basement after 3 years?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Pennachi
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I'm in Delaware

Old 10-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 827 Times on 580 Posts
Likes Given: 109

http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...tutes/delaware

allows the PRODUCTION of up to 200 gallons of beer or* 200 gallons of wine for personal consumption and removal from the home for personal or family use or club-sponsored events

doesn't say anything about a limit on storage

* not sure if you can make 200 gallons of each or of both. since they're separated, I would say it is each. at least that's what I would have my legal counsel argue if it ever went to court

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 10-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Pennachi
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I would agree with you but it seems unclear where production stops and storage begins. Does it have to be bottled? Can I continue to bulk age?

I am no where near 200 gallons, just interested

Old 10-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 827 Times on 580 Posts
Likes Given: 109

production begins at pitching the yeast; it ain't beer until the yeast hits the wort

and I don't think there's any way to enforce the 200 gallon limit. I would think law enforcement is more interested in those who try to sell their homebrew (state & feds want their tax $) or distill

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 10-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There was a fairly heated thread on it a maybe year or so ago. Here's my smash and grab recount.

It was basically divided into two camps.
A: keep diligent records/logbooks and label everything. if it collects dust...leave it on.
B: f the police.

While it is hard to maintain when some homebrew was made any effort at records help. If someone really wants to make a stink they can and will.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
brew_ny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingmeister View Post
B: f the police.

my camp

Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations.
T_Baggins Likes This 
Old 10-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

I'm not too fussed, as I can make as much beer, wine, cider and mead as I like, so long as I don't distill. But I would assume from what I have read about State laws, each varies. But saying you can produce that much says nothing about storage. But to be fair, you would have to be putting on 3.5 gallons a week to be close to that. I make 5 Imperial Gallons about every two weeks or so. Even then, it means it is only about 130 gallons in a year. My maths may be a little off as it is getting late. But the long and the short, I wouldn't care less about storage. Just how much you make. And even then you probably wouldn't get close enough to care.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #9
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 81 Posts

OP- There was a limit on beer of 30 gallons in all stages of production (pitch to bottle), but no limit on wine.

I believe the 30 gallon limit is no longer imposed on beer, or it could have been local (state) for me. Anyhow, a read of the Federal laws says 100/adult max 200 of Beer AND wine They are in separate sections of the Federal code. No limit on the time you can store, and I'm not sure about bulk aging, but wine is certainly done when bottled (ie out of production).

Now with that said, some states have a limit of 100 beer or wine (ie combined) and some are like the Feds - separate. I think in Missouri, it is 100 gallons of beer, wine and spirits combined are considered for home production - although you still have to have a Federal lisc for making spirits.

**** this is general research by me, and not an official legal opinion - consult lawyers and relative code ****

Old 10-16-2013, 02:52 AM   #10
Pennachi
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

All good information, thank you everyone. I only have 50 gallons in bulk from this year and about 150 bottles.

Quick Reply