Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Tea wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
Tritonal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Tea wine

My Fiance works at a store called Teavana and gets really good discounts on bulk loose leaf teas. She has been begging me for a while now to make her a wine using the teas at her store. I've looked up a few recipes and came up with this one, tell me what you think for a half gallon batch

64oz water
1oz peach tranquility tea
1oz weight to go tea
1.5cups sugar

I plan on bringing the water to a boil adding the sugar removing the heat until it cools the the required temp of 190 to start steeping the tea. Steep until cooled to around 70~ and pitch yeast.

After a week or so move to the secondary. I have considered on the move to rack it onto 1 more ounce of each for a week before bottling to really infuse the tea flavor.

One of the questions I had was she has German Rock Sugar from work would this be a good substitute for white granulated sugar? And would I need to add a hand full of raisins or something to that effect to give the yeast proper nutrients?

In the end she is hoping for a rather smooth and sweet wine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hope it turns out good. I made a hard tea a while back and ended up tossing it.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
FlyinDan1017
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Prob need a tsp of yeast nutrient, and will need something for body. Either 1-2cup chopped raisins, boiled banana, or white grape concentrate. Might need to up the sugar a little depending on what you add for body. Use your hydrometer after steeping to determine if more is needed.

Good luck, keep us posted !!!!

Secondary: Coco-Strawberry Wine, Pumpkin Wine, Apple Cider

Bottled/Aging: Pear Wine, Strawberry Wine, Blueberry/Blackberry Wine, Mixed Berry Wine (Blueberry, Blackberry, Strawberry, Raspberry, & Cherry), Jalapeno Liquor, Skeeder Pee

Old 09-19-2013, 03:01 AM   #4
Tritonal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I was considering the raisins already. Would the bananas add anything to the flavor?

Quick Reply