Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Sure could use some assistance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
Newby2this
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sure could use some assistance

Hi all Let me say hey and thank you for having this site.

I am in need of assistance I just got my first wine kit. I an trying to figure out how everything works. I never got any info on how to sanitize everything out i need to know how to do it any suggestions please.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
cyberlord
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Best thing is to buy the smallest container of StarSan (my favorite). It seems expensive but it will make a ton of sanitizer, just under 1/4oz per gallon is the mix ratio and it keeps for months and is reusable. You can buy it mail order or at your LHBS.

StarSan sanitizes by low pH ans is a no rinse solution. I use a spray bottle to coat all surfaces inside and out and my hands. This makes it go even further. I've seen people make a 5 gallon batch to sanitize their carboy and then trow it out ; it will be expensive that way.

If your kit came with a bucket, do NOT EVER use an abrasive scrubber on it. It will scratch the surface making great hiding places for all sorts of bacteria.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter2-2-3.html

I used to have a six-pack, but now I have a keg.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am new to this as well. My kit came with one step cleaner. Just mix one tablespoon of one step to one gallon of water. Soak everything that will touch wine in this stuff. No need for rinsing just shake off excess. Rinse fermenters with this stuff as well as carboys and bottles. As I say I am real new too but trying to learn. This is a good site with a lot of helpfull folks. Mike

Old 06-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
mmarty1
Recipes 

I brew beer but I'd think the sanitizing process would be the same. Here's a thread on cleaning - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/oxi-...rewing-328676/ .
For sanitizing I use StarSan which I got from my local home brew store (LHBS). Use it instead of bleach as it's orderless, tasteless and you don't need to rinse.

I should add that it's orderless and tasteless in the final product lol, don't go trying to smell or taste this stuff prior to mixing in water as its acid based!

Secondary: American Brown Ale
Next Up: Summer Ale and Oatmeal Stout
Brewed This Year: 30 Gallons
--------------------------------
Wine Section:
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Coastal White and Coatal White Oaked
Next Up: One more Kit then wine from Chambourcin grapes this fall
Wine Made This Year: 5 Gallons

Old 06-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
cyberlord
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Remember a cleaner is not a sanitizer. A cleaner is used for cleaning equipment after use. Equipment still has to be sanitized. I sanitize after cleaning before storage and then again right before use. May seem over kill but I like knowing nothing is growing in my buckets while they sit in the dark closet waiting.

I used to have a six-pack, but now I have a keg.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
mmarty1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlord View Post
Remember a cleaner is not a sanitizer. A cleaner is used for cleaning equipment after use. Equipment still has to be sanitized. I sanitize after cleaning before storage and then again right before use. May seem over kill but I like knowing nothing is growing in my buckets while they sit in the dark closet waiting.
Nice clarification point cyberlord, I clean and sanitize exactly the same way.
Secondary: American Brown Ale
Next Up: Summer Ale and Oatmeal Stout
Brewed This Year: 30 Gallons
--------------------------------
Wine Section:
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Coastal White and Coatal White Oaked
Next Up: One more Kit then wine from Chambourcin grapes this fall
Wine Made This Year: 5 Gallons

Old 06-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Use metabisulfite for sanitizing...sodium is usually cheapest

For sanitizing---do you have Campden tablets or k-meta?

Whatever you use make sure you do not use any products containing bleach--even if you rinse super well--you are setting your wine equipment and wine up for potential contamination. As far as cleaning, avoid scented dishwashing liquids; consider using Powdered Brewers Wash: The only patented non-caustic cleaner designed to clean stainless steel and safe for use on glass, copper, plastic, brass and ceramic.

I would say most home winemakers use metabisulfite as a sanitizing solution to rinse equipment when making wine. There are better cleaners available for cleaning equipment than metabisulfite, but metabisulfite is an excellent sanitizer when you mixed properly, stored properly and used properly. Remember, you need to clean AND sanitize.

From http://www.finevinewines.com/sulfites2.htm
Tim Vandergrift the Technical Services Manager of Winexpert Limited recently wrote the following information on this subject:
The sanitizing solution Winexpert recommends is at 1250 PPM, 50 grams in 4 liters, or about three tablespoons of sulfite powder per US gallon. A little heavy hurts nothing but don't go lighter. It will keep for a month or two in a sealed jug” and “ technically Sodium meta is about 8% more active in a given solution than Potassium meta. In practice, this means that if you dose with a quarter-teaspoon in 23 liters (6 US-gallons) you'll yield 20 PPM of free SO2 with Potassium and 21.6 PPM with Sodium. And both are equally effective as a surface sanitizer and winemaking additive plus Sodium metabisulfite is much, much cheaper than potassium”.

Personally, after ensuring my workspace and all equipment has been cleaned/rinsed if indicated, I then start sanitizing. Also, make sure your hands are clean, scrub under your nails, some mist hands with solution. I fill a freshly cleaned spray bottle (designated for meta only, bottle is marked vividly and says POISON) with fresh na-meta solution (if I don't have some in the refrigerator in a sealed, dated/marked container). I will mist every surface heavily. If I have inner aspect of tubing to sanitize I use a sanitized funnel to pour solution into the tubing. My gear is ALWAYS put away after being cleaned and sanitized, air dried & it is cleaned and sanitized before use. I have not had any issues with my fermentations (and I do NOT sanitize corks--they are used immediately from a just opened package).

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 1

"No-Rinse" is only a suggestion.

Take a spoonful of the "no-rinse" cleaner and taste it...do you REALLY want that taste to get into your wine???

I rinse excessively before sanitizing.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post

Take a spoonful of the "no-rinse" cleaner and taste it...do you REALLY want that taste to get into your wine???

There's no point in sanitizing if you are going to then rinse with tap water. Unless that tap water itself is sanitized by boiling or similar.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 983 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 2752

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post

You might be interested in this:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/don-...nation-207887/

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS