Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Super -kleer 2 stage Euro Finnings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default Super -kleer 2 stage Euro Finnings

Has anyone used this... I mean besides me... A wintner friend of mine told me about this and I purchased one packet just to have and today i was getting ready to bottle an Orange/pineapple wine that i had been wanting to have ready for Christmas but it looked really cloudy even though it had been two months so i decided to give this a try and wow this is amazing ... it states to wait a minimum of one hour after adding Kieselsol (stage one) and then add the chitosan (stage 2) . This.product is great and it leaves the wine looking clean. I wish I would have taken pictures of the before and after but i was so busy and happy that it skipped my mind til now.

If anyone else has used this i would like to know your thoughts on it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
jensmith
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts

Yup, just a few days ago! Only I added the wrong one first and the other right after. The wine cleared up in just a few hours. First time I had a cloudy wine, and I really need the carboy for overflow! Very fun to watch! Will be looking forward to another cloudy wine:-)
I was going to tast it today, but did not get to it. Maybe tomorrow. It was tasty before, hopefully that has not changed.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yes. Amazing stuff, and amazing how fast it works compared to some other fining agents.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

This looked as cloudy as orange juice and this the final result after just 8 hours... I will surely be using more of this soon..by the way it does not change the aroma or taste .

forumrunner_20121223_074637.png

Old 12-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

I use them occasionally, when I have a stubborn wine that won't clear any other way, although I prefer not to. I normally have my wines vegetarian/vegan friendly so don't usually use isinglass, chitosan, or gelatin.

They do work great, though!

Old 12-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I use them occasionally, when I have a stubborn wine that won't clear any other way, although I prefer not to. I normally have my wines vegetarian/vegan friendly so don't usually use isinglass, chitosan, or gelatin.

They do work great, though!
I understand and we also used it because this Orange wine didn't want to clear at all..

Old 12-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
I understand and we also used it because this Orange wine didn't want to clear at all..
But it was only like two months old! There are lots of things that help a wine clear, and time is one of them.

The other thing is "cold stabilization". Usually, once the wine is done and is no longer dropping lees after at least 60 days, you can pop it in a cold place and it will clear quickly.

I wouldn't ever worry about clarifying a wine if it hadn't been racked into a new carboy and wasn't dropping lees after 60 days. After 60 days, with no new lees forming, then I would consider cold stabilization. If that didn't work, I might try sparkelloid.

But usually, I make many fruit wines in the fall and they are totally clear by the next fall when I bottle.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
techbrewie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Yep, I had some aple graff last week that was SUPER cloudy after primary. Stage 1 for 12 hrs then added stage 2 and finished out secndary. when I racked to the keg it was clear as glass. amazing product. will use again.

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

But it was only like two months old! There are lots of things that help a wine clear, and time is one of them.

The other thing is "cold stabilization". Usually, once the wine is done and is no longer dropping lees after at least 60 days, you can pop it in a cold place and it will clear quickly.

I wouldn't ever worry about clarifying a wine if it hadn't been racked into a new carboy and wasn't dropping lees after 60 days. After 60 days, with no new lees forming, then I would consider cold stabilization. If that didn't work, I might try sparkelloid.

But usually, I make many fruit wines in the fall and they are totally clear by the next fall when I bottle.
Yooper you are 100% i was just a bit worried since i was already at .990 and it still looked as orange juice as the first day ..i had already racked three times and there was no lees

Quick Reply